Stihl 025 Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimikyu

Reaction score
I inherited an old Stihl 025 from my Grandfather, and I've been trying to get it working for about a month now. I've replaced the cylinder block, the ignition coil, the carburetor, the air filter, the fuel line, and the impulse line. Still doesn't want to turn over. Ar this point I've about given up. I guess I need to grab a compression gage and check it's compression. It doesn't seem to be getting gas, I checked the impulse line and it's clear. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

Please explain what you mean by " Still doesn't want to turn over." Does that mean it does not fire when you crank it? My first guess at this point is (1) the crank seals need replacing or (2) somehow you still have no compression.

025/250 has alot of difficulty for some people, pulling the rope...like the recoil spool size doesnt match the compression level. By far the most complained about thing on the small stihls. I drop start so its not a problem but you really have to pull hard and fast otherwise.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

HarleyT is correct and that will work if the key is sheared. The key does practically nothing to hold the flywheel to the crank shaft. It just places it in the right position for firing. You need a lot of torque tightening on that nut. That undertightening syndrome happened to me 10 years ago with an 029 and I never forgot it.

Take some fingernail polish or white out, and mark the crank and flywheel at the key's location, so you will know it hasn't moved while you torque it properly.
Also make sure that BOTH the crank and flywheel seat are COMPLETELY degreased before assembling. Brake cleaner works good for this.

Back