stihl 025 vent issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partimer55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok I searched for a while and couldnt find an answer. Ive never seen this before. Im working on an 025 for a friend of mine what I thought was an easy carb rebuild. After the rebuild it acted like it wasnt getting any fuel. I installed a new fuel line, impulse line, filter and tank vent. I figured that would have solved the problem. It didnt. I can blow through the fuel line and the tank vent vents. I can shoot cleaner through the intake port on the carb and it is clear. After you pull on it several times gas works its way up into the vent. This tells me there is tank pressure, but how? I hope someone has been here before. Thanks for all help.

Ive checked the carb several times thinking the same thing. I ve rebuilt several and do admit sometimes as easy as it seams ive done small things wrong. I did finally get the saw to start and run great on high with good response but on low it seems to spit a little gas back and want to die. I wondered if this could be a metering lever adjustment. Ive got it set level.right where ive set several. what would make it spit gas back through the carb.

The issue with the tank vent is normal. When starting the saw or shaking it, if the tank is fairly close to full this will happen.

Well Ive figured out that it is not a vent issue. It is a fuel problem. Ive checked the carb over and over. It seems to be a pick up prob because to get it to start you have to choke it it will start a(hard). Then it will run and rev good but will eventually die. Then have to be choked to get to start again. Could it be a impulse line issue still.

Start over. Impulse line, fuel filter, etc. I have a few 025's. The tank vent thing is normal on mine when it full. Dont know why. Keep us posted. Welcome to AS.

P.S. Where u at?

Well after work today I picked up a gallon of carb soak, a new impulse line. I took the carb apart and put it to soak. I took the saw apart just to completely look at the impulse line that was on it and make sure the intake boot was in good shape. All was good. Tommarrow I will reassemble with new impulse line. Ive checked the filter which is new and the fuel line which is new. Everything checks out great. I even took the muffler off again to look at the p/c it is flawless. I feel it is in the carb and Im hoping the soak will take care of it. If not Ill try a new carb. Ive never had to scrap a carb before but this one is beating me.

Im in SW Missouri near Joplin.

Last edited:
Got home today went outside. reassembled the saw. Took the carb out of the soak, put it back together. saw hit on second pull, started on the 3rd. Something was just clogging that carb somewhere. It runs like a top now and cuts great.

Got home today went outside. reassembled the saw. Took the carb out of the soak, put it back together. saw hit on second pull, started on the 3rd. Something was just clogging that carb somewhere. It runs like a top now and cuts great.

Glad it worked out for ya brother.

You need to rebuild the carb correctly.

Well.......................................................................................

I didn't post the "correctly" part, my wrist is sore...........................

I have posted that a few hundred times..............................

A search would bring it up a few hundred times, I guess.....................

Back