Stihl 026 adjustable oiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I keep finding funny things with this saw. The oiler puts out way too much oil and on the bottom of the case there is a hole with graphics around it indicating there is an adjustment for the oiler but there is no sign of a screw in the hole and it is located too far back to be aimed at the oiler. Is there supposed to be an adjustable oiler on this saw or does the saw just share engine cases with one that does? The oil pump is on the front side of the crank and it looks like the adjustment position is meant for a saw with the oil pump on the rear side of the crank.

There were two options for this series. The "Pro" version had an adjustable oiler. They can be converted if you have the correct crankcase (and you do) but all of the necessary parts are rather spendy unless you can find them used.

Stihl did/does have a kit to convert from the crank driven non adjustable pump to the clutch driven adjustable one. Part # 1121 007 1043
My memory is foggy, but I think it is pump, drive, clutch drum a spacer, and maybe something else. Not really worth it imho.

Stihl did/does have a kit to convert from the crank driven non adjustable pump to the clutch driven adjustable one. Part # 1121 007 1043
My memory is foggy, but I think it is pump, drive, clutch drum a spacer, and maybe something else. Not really worth it imho.
That conversion kit is NLA.

That saw has been nla for years too. You should be able to ebay or scrounge up the parts to convert it, but honestly it will get pricey quick. Well unless you find a junker for parts.

The oil puddling is common with non adjustable oilers in the 026/260 line. I just put an old kitchen towel under mine to sop it up after use. The 026 Pro had the adjustable oiler and a decomp valve. Only difference. Neither is needed. Some 026 and 260 non-pro saws came from the factory with the Pro chassis with the oil pump adjusting hole and no adjustable oiler or decomp valve. I have had more than one of those.

Other than that the 026/260 line is pretty mix and match. Metal and plastic starter covers. 4 different types of mufflers, varying in being choked up. Small and slightly larger air filters, and 3 different tank vents to go with them. Metal and poly carb top handles. Red and black action levers. A dozen or so different carbs. Even the later 260 model has a different bore than the 026, but the P&C can be swapped as pairs between them w/o any modification.

I keep finding funny things with this saw. The oiler puts out way too much oil and on the bottom of the case there is a hole with graphics around it indicating there is an adjustment for the oiler but there is no sign of a screw in the hole and it is located too far back to be aimed at the oiler. Is there supposed to be an adjustable oiler on this saw or does the saw just share engine cases with one that does? The oil pump is on the front side of the crank and it looks like the adjustment position is meant for a saw with the oil pump on the rear side of the crank.

The non-adjustable oil runs all the time even when idling. So if the saw sits running at idle it stihl pizzes out oil when not needed.

The adjustable only pumps when the clutch is engaged/chain moving.

I used to search high and low for the adjustable oiler for the 1121 model. I still have a full kit of two here to convert over.

It’s simply not needed. Yes, they oil at idle, but it’s only 1/4th the amount of rpm at WOT, so the oiling isn’t that exessive. Plus, a little extra oil on the bar doesn’t hurt.

Back