Stihl 026 coil installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogulmasher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a 026 I'm resurrecting. It needed a coil and fuel lines. It came with a good used coil. I installed it and tested for spark and it's good to go. It only has 1 black lead which I guess goes to the ignition switch. It has no connector on it, any particular bullit style connector should work? Also should there be another wire? How about a ground, or does it ground once bolted in place?

Should be a green and black wire.

On the coil, one has a ring that bolts down with the coil (think it’s green) and the black has a female connector that plugs onto the coil tab to ground it out to shut down.

On the switch side, 2 bullets. One plugs into the control spring (Black) and one into the control lever (Green).

NOTE: do not actuate the control lever without the bullet installed, it will catch and bend the control spring and you will have a PITA to deal with.

My coil has a black wire coming out of itself that loops around to the back and grounds to the coil body. Do I still need the green from control lever to ring under coil bolt?

Also anyone got a source for the type of bullet connector used on the wires?

I was looking at pics of replacement coils for 026 and I don't see any that have a ground wire coming out of itself and then grounding to coil bracket. Should I still run additional ground to switch?

Youre missing the green wire. It has a washer end that goes under the top coil bolt. The tab on the coil needs to be grounded out to stop spark and shut saw down. Right now you have nothing to complete the circuit with. You could make a jumper from the control spring to any part of the case, but going back to the coil is likely the best if the OEM did it that way.

I think that it may be a very old OEM coil. Are there any markings molded into the case?

BTW, those "bullet" ferrules are reusable if you have or can steal them from other wiring harnesses. You just have to unsolder them and then solder in a new wire.

Here are some potential ferrule sources. You want uninsulated brass designed for soldering.

https://www.ferrulesdirect.com/
https://www.mcmaster.com/wire-ferrules/noninsulated-wire-ferrules/
If it is an OEM coil then the HT lead will unscrew for replacement if needed. Also the kill lead wire terminal has a "catch" to release the tab from the terminal. You may have to clean the crud off to see it.

Back