stihl 026 in a puddle of oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Long ago (like 6 years ago?) I acquired a burned out 026 for almost nothing, so I decided to repair it, replacing the cylinder and piston at that time. As I recall, it fired up and ran fine, and I put it in a case to do something with it in the future (give it away? sell it? I don't know, I just enjoyed fixing it, and I have another 026 that I use when needed). Apparently, I must have been concerned about a little bar oil leaking because i had placed a paper towel in the bottom of the case.

Life happened, and the saw sat in that case for about 5 years, undisturbed. Finally, today I decided I would bring it back to life. When I opened the case, I was greeted with a full puddle of oil that had leaked out over its "resting period" from the oil tank. I cleaned out the carb, put in fresh fuel, and to my pleasant surprise it seems to run well, BUT...that oil leak makes me wonder what's going on.

Any likelihood it is one of the two oil hoses going to/from the oil pump? The saw was upright, and it has the old style caps that were very tight. It has been so long since I played with chainsaws that I don't remember everything I did back then, but I don't seem to remember replacing the oil tubes and have read that they can leak over time? I sure hope it isn't the crankcase. Thoughts? The manual makes it sound like installing the tube that goes from the pump to the bar is a little tricky; is it?

atmospheric pressure changes, and heat and cool will cause the oil tank to pump oil, its normal for them to leak, fill with bar oil, check that it oils when running and enjoy your saw.

edited to add.
They leak out thru the oil delivery port that feeds the bar, then it just runs down the bar and pools at the bottom.

could be oil pickup hose, the oil pump inlet is cone shaped & just sits in the oil pickup tube flange. probably dried up/cracked & slowly leaked overtime. easy fix, or just leave it alone & run it.

Latest posts

Back