Stihl 026 Oil Leaking out Bottom

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johndrew98

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found a Stihl 026 ... SN 219186969.... I put in new carubretor, cleaned the old air filter and also a new coil with sparkplugs. Examined and cleaned the clutch and looks ok. It starts up but has oil coming out the bottom. No oil on the bar. What should I look at to fix the oil issue? Also is there a way to make other air filters work?

I found a Stihl 026 ... SN 219186969.... I put in new carubretor, cleaned the old air filter and also a new coil with sparkplugs. Examined and cleaned the clutch and looks ok. It starts up but has oil coming out the bottom. No oil on the bar. What should I look at to fix the oil issue? Also is there a way to make other air filters work?

I’m still wondering where you found a multi plug 026.

Everything is behind the clutch. Remove it and let the saw sit awhile.
May sure sawdust isn’t built up in the feed port.
Remove the guide plate and check the vent also

The flexible black line from the pump to the chain bar pad is a common leak area, split, cracked or broke off most times, it is behind the clutch so removal of it is necessary. The airfilter from a MS260 can be made to work but it takes alteration or replacement of the fuel tank vent and the rear cover off the MS260 as well, the 026 and MS260 filter covers attach differently.

The oil pump is behind the clutch which is a left-hand thread. The line from the pump to the bar could be disintegrated. However, before you pull the clutch make sure that the bar oil hole is clean, the bar groove is clean, and there is no debris between the bar and saw mount. The bar mount"sandwich MUST be clean.

The flexible black line from the pump to the chain bar pad is a common leak area, split, cracked or broke off most times, it is behind the clutch so removal of it is necessary. The airfilter from a MS260 can be made to work but it takes alteration or replacement of the fuel tank vent and the rear cover off the MS260 as well, the 026 and MS260 filter covers attach differently.
Post a photo of the back end (AF/carb) with the AF cover removed. They made a couple of different versions and we need to know which one you have.

Photos of 026 filters and housing. The filter had lots of gunk inside it. I took it a part and cleaned it. I could not get the original spring back in place on the filter so I drilled a 1/8"vertical hole, got a spring and cut the length to size and hooked one end to the plastic filter flap and the other through the hole I drilled put a stick throught it and use E600 to hold in place.

Attachments

• IMG-3153.JPG
    IMG-3153.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG-3156.JPG
    IMG-3156.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG-3152.JPG
    IMG-3152.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 17
The oil pump is behind the clutch which is a left-hand thread. The line from the pump to the bar could be disintegrated. However, before you pull the clutch make sure that the bar oil hole is clean, the bar groove is clean, and there is no debris between the bar and saw mount. The bar mount"sandwich MUST be clean.
I will look tomorrow. You may be right Steve. I filled the oil tank full, ran it for about 2 minutes. When I looked about 4 hours later, the oil tank was empty. Appears a leak somewhere but will take your recommendations on checking to insure the bar is clean.

I cannot see the tank vent, it might be the lower white cap type that makes it easier to swap the MS260 filter onto this saw. I have many of them that I run the bigger filters on.

I cannot see the tank vent, it might be the lower white cap type that makes it easier to swap the MS260 filter onto this saw. I have many of them that I run the bigger filters on.
First photo cut off to the left. I think that the lower vents went with the new tank housing/AF cover. I think the give away is rectangular vs round AF cover knob.

I will look tomorrow. You may be right Steve. I filled the oil tank full, ran it for about 2 minutes. When I looked about 4 hours later, the oil tank was empty. Appears a leak somewhere but will take your recommendations on checking to insure the bar is clean.
There is no way that the saw could run through a tank of oil in 2 minutes. If the tank went from full to empty you should have found it in a puddle of bar oil. That would be a different leak.

Photos of 026 filters and housing. The filter had lots of gunk inside it. I took it a part and cleaned it. I could not get the original spring back in place on the filter so I drilled a 1/8"vertical hole, got a spring and cut the length to size and hooked one end to the plastic filter flap and the other through the hole I drilled put a stick throught it and use E600 to hold in place.

I'd have used the original spring.

I hope your fix holds and the saw doesn't eat the spring

I'd have used the original spring. I hope your fix holds and the saw doesn't eat the spring
+1 The cost of the motor ingesting a spring or other foreign object is just too high. OP needs to learn how these come apart and go back together. Now that he has mucked one up he should just replace or upgrade the filter. I believe that this old style narrow one is still available.

Back