STihl 026 pro value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought it today. I succeed to get it running, but die at idle. But starter rope seems really easy to pull. When I hold her by the starter rope, she drop to the floor real fast. Compression may be low ? I looked at the piston via exhaust port, what do you thing about that? Seems to be “stripped” all the way, but look more like factory “stripping” and not damage. What do you think?

Attachments

• 85D4D373-EA24-41B7-9522-7A85F2578040.jpeg
    85D4D373-EA24-41B7-9522-7A85F2578040.jpeg
    605.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 7628DDED-1D7E-4795-BC6B-78883C9924CD.jpeg
    7628DDED-1D7E-4795-BC6B-78883C9924CD.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 46
Top end is shot. You will need to replace that. The whole deal was fishy when I saw that the seller did not include a decent chain or a backup chain. This engine was burned out. I trust that you can replace the top end. This saw was sold as a non-runner that needed a complete rebuild, right?

If so, then maybe the seller was honest with you. Without dropping some dough, there was no way that he could save it. So, he sold it to you and probably assumed that you were a small-engine mechanic that could bring the saw back to life..

Top end is shot. You will need to replace that. The whole deal was fishy when I saw that the seller did not include a decent chain or a backup chain. This engine was burned out. I trust that you can replace the top end. This saw was sold as a non-runner that needed a complete rebuild, right?
He said that it needed a carb kit and cleaning. Unfortunately I think to rebuilt the whole engine is beyond my ability. I’ll see what I do. Do you have an idea how much it would cost ?

He said that it needed a carb kit and cleaning. Unfortunately I think to rebuilt the whole engine is beyond my ability. I’ll see what I do. Do you have an idea how much it would cost ?
I wish I lived in Quebec. Shipping it back and forth would nullify any cost savings. Based on what you said, I think the carb could be OK, but you have no compression so that must be taken care of first. You can check that blow out by removing the muffler and inspecting the piston and rings. Most likely the rings are shot and the piston and cylinder are probably scored. So, both must be replaced.

Check instructions on You-Tube. It's not that tough to replace the top end. Many here have done it. I say give it a try. Stihls are worth rebuilding.

I wish I lived in Quebec. Shipping it back and forth would nullify any cost savings. Based on what you said, I think the carb could be OK, but you have no compression so that must be taken care of first. You can check that blow out by removing the muffler and inspecting the piston and rings. Most likely the rings are shot and the piston and cylinder are probably scored. So, both must be replaced.

Check instructions on You-Tube. It's not that tough to replace the top end. Many here have done it. I say give it a try. Stihls are worth rebuilding.

Ok thanks. But the picture I posted is the piston view from the muffler. I Guess I have to remove cylinder and piston. Gonna have to look at youtube video. Im familiar with carb rebuild but not p&c

Ok thanks. But the picture I posted is the piston view from the muffler. I Guess I have to remove cylinder and piston. Gonna have to look at you-tube video. I'm familiar with carb rebuild but not p&c
Yes, that view also prompted my post in addition to whatever else that you said. I understand. Don't give up on yourself. You can do it. Feel free to PM me as you go along. Others here can also help out.

Yes, that view also prompted my post in addition to whatever else that you said. I understand. Don't give up on yourself. You can do it. Feel free to PM me as you go along. Others here can also help out.
Thanks! I gonna have a few hours of work and would be an opportunity to build my learning curve here. I recently worked on a old partner. I assume to begin with I would have to buy a P&C kit. Would you buy it from a stihl dealer or online ?

Thanks! I gonna have a few hours of work and would be an opportunity to build my learning curve here. I recently worked on a old partner. I assume to begin with I would have to buy a P&C kit. Would you buy it from a stihl dealer or online ?

Depends on your intended use for this saw, keep it or flip it, heavy duty use or just light around the yard use. OEM is always the best parts and best for heavy duty useage. Aftermarket parts are hit or miss quality and performance wise, a good used cylinder with a Meteor piston and Caber rings run a close second to new OEM .

You can get an 034 cylinder kit for about $25 that should work OK for you. Go for it. Here's my 034 AV, and I ran it yesterday. This saw was given to me in pieces lying in a box five years ago:
Stihl 036-1.JPG
I added the outer bumper spike. Then I let an MS361 owner run it. He could not tell the two apart.

You can get an 034 cylinder kit for about $25 that should work OK for you. Go for it. Here's my 034 AV, and I ran it yesterday. This saw was given to me in pieces lying in a box five years ago:
View attachment 675512
I added the outer bumper spike. Then I let an MS361 owner run it. He could not tell the two apart.
Wow 25$, i thought it was like 100+. At that price for sure i will try it. This is not for heavy duty work, I cut about 6-7 cords per year. I just thought it was a good deal a 034 for a hundred buck + 15$ carb kit and 10$ fuel line. Top end rebuild was not expected though.

Wow 25$, i thought it was like 100+. At that price for sure i will try it. This is not for heavy duty work, I cut about 6-7 cords per year. I just thought it was a good deal a 034 for a hundred buck + 15$ carb kit and 10$ fuel line. Top end rebuild was not expected though.

It pays to always remove the muffler front on a used Stihl saw before buying it. A quick visual check on the piston condition will tell a lot about what it will cost for repairs.

Need to see the rings , but I do not like what I see
They seem to be metal rings ? They dont look like standard rubber rings? Is this possible ?

Attachments

• BAE3FD85-91E9-45F5-A764-4B63ABFA4D3E.jpeg
    BAE3FD85-91E9-45F5-A764-4B63ABFA4D3E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 7F2AC4BF-5D6C-46A4-A935-D5F3ABA4D833.jpeg
    7F2AC4BF-5D6C-46A4-A935-D5F3ABA4D833.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I feel like we the group made a mistake here and led you to make a purchase without advising you to first pull the muffler to keep the seller honest.
You're welcome to send me the saw and I'll rebuild the top end at no charge, but all I ask is you pay for parts and shipping. I may have a good used piston on hand.

I feel like we the group made a mistake here and led you to make a purchase without advising you to first pull the muffler to keep the seller honest.
You're welcome to send me the saw and I'll rebuild the top end at no charge, but all I ask is you pay for parts and shipping. I may have a good used piston on hand.
Thanks a lot this is really appreciated. With canada post, that would be about 130$ for back and forth shipping...I guess I should try it, and keep learning. But I keep your offer in my mind for sure if something go wrong, which is highly possible ha ha

Thanks a lot this is really appreciated. With canada post, that would be about 130$ for back and forth shipping...I guess I should try it, and keep learning. But I keep your offer in my mind for sure if something go wrong, which is highly possible ha ha
Oh wow, I didn't notice your location.
From my experience I get the impression Canada will punish citizens for recieving items shipped in from the usa.
Customs will hit the recipient with a hefty import fee which can be higher in cost than the shipping itself.

Oh wow, I didn't notice your location.
From my experience I get the impression Canada will punish citizens for recieving items shipped in from the usa.
Customs will hit the recipient with a hefty import fee which can be higher in cost than the shipping itself.
That cost dont even include duty taxes..that’s a steal!

Back