Stihl 026 Red Vs. Black Control lever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dec-1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've seen in different threads references to Red or Black control levers. I own several 026's that have both colors. Some people prefer the Reds, I don't see the difference other than color. Dave

I've seen in different threads references to Red or Black control levers. I own several 026's that have both colors. Some people prefer the Reds, I don't see the difference other than color. Dave
I don't see differences either. Both of them work. One year one was black. The other year one was red. The o28's "suffer" from the same syndrome. I never worry about it. The earlier ones appear to be red. Glad to see that you own several. So do I.

I have heard that the red ones are preferred, I replaced a red lever with a black lever on an 028 and it ran the same(lol). I have an unnatural attraction for 026's too, two daily drivers and a shelf queen.003.jpg

Red levers generally older models, though some black levers were even older. Pretty sure they went black, then red, then black again.

The red lever era jugs have smaller Hemi combustion chambers with no relief for any decomp provisions/recesses around spark plug.

They have a drop more compression and slightly better exhaust timing.

Back