Stihl 026 Starting Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie101

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been stripping saws and rebuilding them for a few years now, usually 08s and the 021 023 025 range and selling them through the local paper. I was given a 026 in px just after christmas and the guy said it would not start, it took me about 30 pulls to get it going, then once warm it would start first pull every time. next day it did exactly the same 30 pulls then ran all day. I decided to strip it and rebuild, all inpulse hose, fuel line, inlet manifold look fine, piston and cylinder are in great shape, re-built it with new gasket set, and new crank seals. Now fully rebuilt and my hopes high filled with petrol and low and behold the same thing 20 pulls to get it going. I am used to 2 pulls on full choke than 1 pull on half choke and the saw is running. Does any one have any ideas as i am knocking on a bit and the arms cant take it any more.

Hi, I have been stripping saws and rebuilding them for a few years now, usually 08s and the 021 023 025 range and selling them through the local paper. I was given a 026 in px just after christmas and the guy said it would not start, it took me about 30 pulls to get it going, then once warm it would start first pull every time. next day it did exactly the same 30 pulls then ran all day. I decided to strip it and rebuild, all inpulse hose, fuel line, inlet manifold look fine, piston and cylinder are in great shape, re-built it with new gasket set, and new crank seals. Now fully rebuilt and my hopes high filled with petrol and low and behold the same thing 20 pulls to get it going. I am used to 2 pulls on full choke than 1 pull on half choke and the saw is running. Does any one have any ideas as i am knocking on a bit and the arms cant take it any more.

Try richening up the L even an 1/8 to 1/4 turn out seems to make a huge difference!
Welcome to AS!

not sure if this is possible, but can the fuel line pull fuel back out of the carb when stored?

Had that on a small engine with tank below pump/carb. fine air leak, or might have been pump checks leaking. that was an engine with separate pulse pump from the carb though...

I've had carbs in the 026 that take as much as a turn and a half on the L jet to start and idle properly.

I work on so many of these saws that I keep extra carbs on hand; and, when I encounter the problem you have, I just pop in another carb, to quickly eliminate that as a problem. Saves lots of time. If this works, then you can try a repair kit; and, sometimes that doesn't work. Then soak it over night in carb cleaner and if that doesn't work, then I donate it to the 'round file'. :cheers:

AS West Tex suggests - try another carb. If that doen't help -a full pressure and vac test is in order. if you need another carb, pm Bcorradi - I believe he has some..

One thing though - once the saw is started, does it run correctly? If it runs, accelerates and idles well (set L a 1/4 turn richer than peak, then turn up LA slightly to compensate), there's nothing wrong with your carb. If your L is exssessive rich for decent idle and accelarate, that's an idicator of an airleak.

I have tried adjusting the carb, no luck. I believe there are parts missing from the air filter. The air filter splits in half and there is a hole at one end that is near a lever on the control rod, on/off mechanism. when you put full choke on, this lever points up and looks like it should move something.

I think the choke flap is an integral part of the air filter on that one. The lever you're talking about should act on the choke flap. Are you missing this then?

see it on here

026filter.jpg

Many thanks to you all, I am missing the choke shutter. A new one of these and this should be the end of my problem.
Many thanks again.

I have similar problem on my 026. I have rebuilt both the top and lower end, new impulse line, fuel line, new carb and still can't get fuel on startup. If I use starting fluid, it fires up and runs,idles great. I'm new to this site so hopefully I am in the correct spot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't use starting fluid. Washes lube off the internal surfaces. I learned the hard way.
Used to use WD40 but they changed the propellant years ago.
Little squirt bottle of premix.

Ancient thread, but I am having similar issues on a H 2100 after a total rebuild. No fuel on startup, then idles and runs fine. Have checked and rechecked the gasket/diaphragm locations, pump check flaps good, metering lever height and properly hooked on diaphragm. No vac leaks on lines. All the normal stuff checked.

Andy Lakeside no longer on the site, but hopefully another expert has more ideas.

Back