Stihl 026 tune up suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griggs55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m planning on rebuilding/tuning up my pops Stihl 028 AV as a late Father’s Day present. I’ll be lending him my new MS 251 so he’ll have a saw on hand. I just finished rebuilding my broke down ms180 using parts from an old ms 170 . Though the 028 looks like it’s going to be way more “fun”. I’m sure I’ll be posting on here once I tear into it. In the mean time I’m gonna be reading over the workshop manual I have for it. Can anyone recommend any minor mods that would improve performance? Or special tools I may need?

That saw is old enough to have rotted rubber and seals. If I was rebuilding it I would replace all of the rubber that is still available because they may not be much longer. Definitely should be pressure/vac tested before running regardless.

I’m planning on rebuilding/tuning up my pops Stihl 028 AV as a late Father’s Day present. I’ll be lending him my new MS 251 so he’ll have a saw on hand. I just finished rebuilding my broke down ms180 using parts from an old ms 170 . Though the 028 looks like it’s going to be way more “fun”. I’m sure I’ll be posting on here once I tear into it. In the mean time I’m gonna be reading over the workshop manual I have for it. Can anyone recommend any minor mods that would improve performance? Or special tools I may need?
You can put the head and piston from an 028 super on it. Other than that you could cut the baffles out the muffler and clean it up so there aren’t any obstructions in the exhaust port. Or clean up the intake port, with some grinding. Could also do a base gasket delete to bump compression a little.

You can put the head and piston from an 028 super on it. Other than that you could cut the baffles out the muffler and clean it up so there aren’t any obstructions in the exhaust port. Or clean up the intake port, with some grinding. Could also do a base gasket delete to bump compression a little.

Ditto on this, +1 or whatever it's called on the interwebs.

Ditto on anything rubber. Depending on how much use it's had and how it's been stored, the anti-vibration rubber mounts could at least be looked at. If it runs rough, simple carb kit and potential fuel line + filter.

Back