Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny3411

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just purchased a really nice Stihl 026, cant believe the price of these saws, paid lot more than I wanted but the saw looks good, its shipped an on its way to me. I looked at ms260's but I really wanted a 026, I just admire the screw caps much more. I plan on taking the muffler off once I get it, dremel the hole and give it a decent muffler mod, then retune and keep it like that. Watched some video on 026's, I like how they run, a bit of torque to them, they just keep chugging along. Id love to get a OEM 44.7 cylinder and have it ported and install it, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Im going to take care of it, keep it hundred percent OEM. Does anyone know the part numbers for the parts needed to switch to the adjustable oiler thats on the Pro models. Id love to install a OEM adjustable oiler on it. Can the oiler parts be purchased online anywhere? Also wanted to ask, is there a elasto starter for the 026/ms260? if there is, what is the part number on that. Will the elasto starter from the 036/ms360 fit?

Post some pictures when you get it. We love pictures! :D

That will help people who know the 026 help you.

There were a bunch of variations as the 026 evolved (carbs, air filter, oiler, decomp, mufflers...)

Keep the 44mm cylinder. People who mod 026/260 say they make better power.

Stihl makes a kit to convert the oiler. But the kit prices does not make sense as the individual parts co$t le$$, on the price list I have.

026 oil pump.png

Do get an adjustable carb if it does not have one, if you intend to mod it.

As Matt said, a MM and timing is a good place to start.

Attachments

• 026 service notice.pdf
    232.9 KB · Views: 21
  • STIHL 026 IPL.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
I didnt think you needed to drill any holes in the 026 case to install the adjustable oiler, dont the 026 and 026 Pro have the same crankcases? awesome info guys, thank you so much. cant wait for it to arrive..

print1.JPG

pic from seller. this 026 has the hole in the bottom to adjust oiler. the adjustable oiler should fit right in, and be able to adjust it, whats your all thoughts

print3.JPG

I just purchased a really nice Stihl 026, cant believe the price of these saws, paid lot more than I wanted but the saw looks good, its shipped an on its way to me. I looked at ms260's but I really wanted a 026, I just admire the screw caps much more. I plan on taking the muffler off once I get it, dremel the hole and give it a decent muffler mod, then retune and keep it like that. Watched some video on 026's, I like how they run, a bit of torque to them, they just keep chugging along. Id love to get a OEM 44.7 cylinder and have it ported and install it, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Im going to take care of it, keep it hundred percent OEM. Does anyone know the part numbers for the parts needed to switch to the adjustable oiler thats on the Pro models. Id love to install a OEM adjustable oiler on it. Can the oiler parts be purchased online anywhere? Also wanted to ask, is there a elasto starter for the 026/ms260? if there is, what is the part number on that. Will the elasto starter from the 036/ms360 fit?
yes that elasto start will work

Nice looking saw! I’ve never ran a 026 before but I’d like to have one. I’ve got a 261cm and absolutely love that saw. I did a muff mod on it and it felt like a completely different saw.
My 261cm has the adjustable oiler but it doesn’t feel like it gets enough oil on the chain even on the max setting. Thinking about switching to a synthetic oil and see if that helps it.
Good luck and enjoy that new saw!

Not sure how the later model like yours oils but my earlier model oils just fine with the fixed oiler.. I'm running a 18" bar with.325 chain.
Same here, having worked over more 026 and 260`s than I can count the only difference I can see between adjustable and fixed oil pumps is the idle oiling of the fixed, they both supply plenty of oil and I don`t let my saws idle longer than 30 seconds. Will stop them if set down and my hands are doing some other chore.

Nice looking saw! I’ve never ran a 026 before but I’d like to have one. I’ve got a 261cm and absolutely love that saw. I did a muff mod on it and it felt like a completely different saw.
My 261cm has the adjustable oiler but it doesn’t feel like it gets enough oil on the chain even on the max setting. Thinking about switching to a synthetic oil and see if that helps it.
Good luck and enjoy that new saw!
What brand oil you running.? Uh oh,oil thread.:laugh: Just curious. I just got a new 261cm and I'll let you know how it oils. Gonna turn it all the way and go from there. Gonna pop it's cherry in some wood Saturday at our GTG .:chainsaw:

What brand oil you running.? Uh oh,oil thread.:laugh: Just curious. I just got a new 261cm and I'll let you know how it oils. Gonna turn it all the way and go from there. Gonna pop it's cherry in some wood Saturday at our GTG .:chainsaw:

im using the stihl woodcutter oil in the orange jug. I put an Oregon full chisel chain on the other night (yes the correct one) and it got so hot it didn’t even want to turn. I see very little, if any, oil flipping on the ground when i just run it. I’ve cleaned all the weep holes. The factory chain seems to run fine without overheating. I read a post where a guy modified the oil port hole on the bar to allow for more oil to reach the chain. May give that a try.

im using the stihl woodcutter oil in the orange jug. I put an Oregon full chisel chain on the other night (yes the correct one) and it got so hot it didn’t even want to turn. I see very little, if any, oil flipping on the ground when i just run it. I’ve cleaned all the weep holes. The factory chain seems to run fine without overheating. I read a post where a guy modified the oil port hole on the bar to allow for more oil to reach the chain. May give that a try.

Make the hole bigger, even 1/8" doesn`t hurt and angle it toward the tip of the bar, remove any burrs inside and out and the bar will clog less and oil more.

The 036 elasto start has a bulky handle. Order one for a 261 and your good...[/QUOTE
The 036 elasto start has a bulky handle. Order one for a 261 and your good...

Good info, I had not seen one on a stock 261 yet, part# 0000 190 3401 if Media Cat is still viable.

Latest posts

Back