Stihl 028 AV Super... is it worth fixing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys i just got a really nice stihl 028 wood boss chainsaw runs awsome im thinkin of putting a 20 inch bar an chain on it would that work for this kinda saw please let me know or send me a pm thanks

Welcome to AS! Its usually best to start a new thread for these sorts of questions that aren't really connected to the original post.

The quick answer is that 20" will work for softwood , but its a little much for an 028 if you are trying to bury the bar in hardwood. 16" or 18" is probably a better match.

So I bought a used Stihl 028 AV Super off of craigslist. Cosmetically there isn't a scratch on it. Heck the plastic to cover the logos are still there. when I fired it up it ran awesome so picked it up for $175. got it out the first weekend it fired right up started going through wood like it was it's job! loved it! then about 15 min in it started dying at the high end. felt like it was a little lean so I read the manual and it sounded like i needed to turn up the high rpm setpoint screw thing. So I did and it ran like a champ for the next 4 hours! we even fell most of a 40" tree. I stopped my Stihl for the last half hour while we were using a wedge to fall the tree. once it was on the ground well tried to start it up again and it wouldn't even attempt to start.

so I took it to a dealer and after three weeks they said that I had scored the cylinder wall from running too lean. :-( so they considered it junk.

So I ask the real pro's should I attempt to resurrect it or buy a brand new saw?

View attachment 225640

anyways any info on the saw like what parts to look for cylinder size etc would be most helpful

Unless you have some sort of emotional attachment to it I would recommend retiring your 028. I owned a small equipment sales and repair business before I retired and witnessed many problems with the "0" series Stihls, especially the 028. One of the biggest problems was premature failure of the ignition modules. Clutch problems and scored bores were also prevalent. If I recall they do not have a chrome lined bore while most of the competition at the time did. Except for several starter ropes breaking, my 40 year-old Homelite 245 has a chrome bore and chrome plated piston and has run trouble free since I've owned it. Rugged in most respects, and even though I sold Stihl at one time, after 1980 or so I think they became less reliable and very over priced. Unless you're doing a lot of cutting, you can buy a fairly good light-duty saw nowadays for around $200.

Dave

Back