Stihl 028 AV Super oiler question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've got an exceptionally clean 028 AV Super, and an average condition 028AV.

The 028 Super is a newer saw and the oiler has a different back end plug on it than the older 028 AV.
The plug on the back end of the 028 Super is not a recessed neoprene plug that fits tight and flush with the back of the oiler housing like the regular 028 AV does... instead it is a floppy clearish colored neoprene plug that protrudes loosley out of the back of the oiler housing. There does not seem to be a way to tighten it up or screw it in further. It has a protrusion coming off of it almost as if it is there for the purpose of tightening it, but nope, won't screw in tighter.

Are they supposed to be run this way, with the polymer end cap flopping a little bit loose?

How does it oil?

Don't know yet, I've only fired it up on a squirt of pre-mix. (runs great)
Once I fuel it and fire it up for real, it may oil just fine, but I can see sand and dirt getting in the back of that floppy end plug. I don't like parts with a sloppy fit.
If I get some time, I hope to do it this weekend.

Fired it up yesterday afternoon. Oiler works perfectly fine.
I think the neoprene end cap on the oil pump is more or less a dust cap, it does not appear to seal up any area that contains or transfers oil. Looks like it is a dust cap over the back of the worm gear.

Back