Stihl 028 AV Super repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically you should do a squish test. However I've reinstalled cylinders without a gasket and had no problem. I typically use Dirko HT but any fuel resistant sealant will work.
i've heard about that squishy stuff. i'll look into it to amuse myself wilst i wait for the piston.

Stihl piston and cylinders are matched for size and stamped A or B. You can check clearance with feeler gauges. I believe Meteor also does the same.

You should always check P/C clearance and ring gap when putting in parts.
Ok, thanks! I'm sure there's a post on here somewhere about how to do it.

Slip a feeler gauge between the intake piston skirt and the bottom of the cylinder while you slide it in.

You should be able to fit a .001-.002 between the piston and the cylinder. .003 is a bit loose, especially for a new slug. Anything more is no good.

The ring gap is easy. Insert the ring and push above the exhaust roof with the piston crown, just make sure you don’t push it to the top. Measure the gap with a feeler gauge. Usually .007 or better is ok for your bore. There’s a formula I forget that’s easily found online. It’s alway good to check, but meteor pistons come with caber rings (same company) and I have yet to find a single one that was off. It’s a quality product. I stopped checking with cabers altogether.

Slip a feeler gauge between the intake piston skirt and the bottom of the cylinder while you slide it in.

You should be able to fit a .001-.002 between the piston and the cylinder. .003 is a bit loose, especially for a new slug. Anything more is no good.

The ring gap is easy. Insert the ring and push above the exhaust roof with the piston crown, just make sure you don’t push it to the top. Measure the gap with a feeler gauge. Usually .007 or better is ok for your bore. There’s a formula I forget that’s easily found online. It’s alway good to check, but meteor pistons come with caber rings (same company) and I have yet to find a single one that was off. It’s a quality product. I stopped checking with cabers altogether.
Thanks! I cant wait to get that saw running!

I'm supposed to get the piston tomorrow. Here's the cylinder after cleaning. I used a dremel flap wheel to buff off the aluminum on the cylinder. Then I heated it in the oven and put oven cleaner on it. It got 95% of the gunk off. I've got some gasket sealer to apply after I do the squish test. Do ya like the solder bar? LoL

Attachments

• 20190711_204848.jpg
    20190711_204848.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20190711_204901.jpg
    20190711_204901.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 20190711_205235.jpg
    20190711_205235.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Just got the piston! It was in the mail box. Crap! No clips with it and I lost one taking it out...

Attachments

• 20190711_224848.jpg
    20190711_224848.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
No way around it. Take some Aleve for the arthritis. WD-40 and a couple grits of wet dry sand paper. I go 150, 220, 320 then finish off with red scotch brite. It's going to take several hours. This has been my experience. Supposedly you can use muriatic acid and those long qtips but I haven't tried it.

Back