STIHL 028 cylinder interchangeability...038???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmboy21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a STIHL 028 AV SUPER Wood Boss with electronic quick stop, that has a bad piston and cylinder. Apparently the 028 is one of the few STIHL models that haven't been duplicated by the Chinese, so a replacement P&C would run me upwards of about $90. I was about to trade it off or part it out and then I ran across an old post on this site where someone had commented that they and others had successfully used 038 cylinders on the 028's. The one who commented said they used an 038 cylinder with an 044 piston and 044 carb setup. Has anyone else done this? I can get parts for the 038/044's pretty darn cheap from China. My SAE isn't nearly nice enough to sink even $50 in, as it looks like it has been at the bottom of the lake for a decade, but I'd be willing to pay the $30 I think I can do this for, even if it all fails it would've only cost me $30 for the experience and I could still part out the rest. Anyone have any insight??? Thanks.

I can't see how this would ever work. 044 piston is 50mm and 038 cylinder is 48mm. None of the strokes are the same either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The strokes are all different, so I really have no idea what all mods where done. That member doesn't appear to be active anymore, tho I sent a PM for good measure. No one else chimed in, nor did the member mention who else had done this.

It looks like it would involve a spacer under the cylinder. Wouldn't that raise the ports and cause problems?

I've searched eBay and am not satisfied with what's available for the price currently. Either they're too much, or show no photos of inside the cylinder and simply state "sold as is"

I saw the other member post about his combo for $40 but he said it's got like .075 squish, so already I'd have to either have to buy a quality piston or modify the cylinder and neither are really good options for what I've got. The saw is 100% there, but looks like trash, sat outside for years and years and I have no idea if the carb or ignition is even any good. Was hoping I could just find a $20-$30 kit for the saw and see what happens. The saw was free, I've got tons of saws....I don't in any way need the saw, just thought if I could find a Chinese (Huztl/Farmertec) kit that would work I'd give it a shot.

However I was looking at the cylinder and it doesn't look/feel near as bad as the piston does. MAYBE I can get it cleaned up and buy a piston and rings.

I just opened up an 034 and it had an 028 piston in it. My son’s saw and he says it always ran great.
12b0d1f485e81ebab24db438b181d6d9.jpg

Idk if the 034 cylinder would fit your saw though.

I just opened up an 034 and it had an 028 piston in it. My son’s saw and he says it always ran great.
12b0d1f485e81ebab24db438b181d6d9.jpg

Idk if the 034 cylinder would fit your saw though.

That's a new one to me!

They are both 46mm and 10mm pins. I'd be interested to know what compression is when you have it back together.

I wonder if the reverse would work, 034 piston in 028S?

Compression was low at tear down, kind of expected, right? Not sure yet if I’m going to reuse the piston and cylinder, although they certainly look usable to me ..
24a95bc236e1428ba846568da5475022.jpg

Just went to the garage and measured .021 (.53mm ) on both rings. Sounds excessive to me but I don’t know the spec. A leaking PTO seal started this rebuild.

Back