Stihl 028 Oil Leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ideal_trucks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought an 028 Stihl recently and have been working on getting it up and going. It was not oiling when I got it, so I pulled the oil pump and cleaned out a lot of gunk in it that had it totally stopped up. I bought a new gasket between the pump and case. I put it together, run in a little on the bench, checked to make sure it was oiling fine, and cut it off, left it sitting, and came back a few days later and workbench was covered in oil. So, I pulled the pump again cleaned the surfaces again, and reattached, making sure I had it very tight. I didn't start it back up. I let it set for a week or so, came back to look and there was no oil. I let it set another week or so, and oil everywhere.
I pulled another pump from a parts saw I had and put on it, and cut some wood for about 10 minutes, and noticed I was pouring oil out all around the bar, coming from the oiling hole. Cut off and it was still pouring out. I took off the clutch cover and noticed that the pump was not the right pump. It had the plastic gear inside, and the pin holding the gear in was dropping down. With the saw, off, if the oil pump gear backed out, oil would pour out the oiling hole. I don't know how that's possible unless there's some sort of vacuum.
Any thoughts?

I bought an 028 Stihl recently and have been working on getting it up and going. It was not oiling when I got it, so I pulled the oil pump and cleaned out a lot of gunk in it that had it totally stopped up. I bought a new gasket between the pump and case. I put it together, run in a little on the bench, checked to make sure it was oiling fine, and cut it off, left it sitting, and came back a few days later and workbench was covered in oil. So, I pulled the pump again cleaned the surfaces again, and reattached, making sure I had it very tight. I didn't start it back up. I let it set for a week or so, came back to look and there was no oil. I let it set another week or so, and oil everywhere.
I pulled another pump from a parts saw I had and put on it, and cut some wood for about 10 minutes, and noticed I was pouring oil out all around the bar, coming from the oiling hole. Cut off and it was still pouring out. I took off the clutch cover and noticed that the pump was not the right pump. It had the plastic gear inside, and the pin holding the gear in was dropping down. With the saw, off, if the oil pump gear backed out, oil would pour out the oiling hole. I don't know how that's possible unless there's some sort of vacuum.
Any thoughts?
Did you ever figure this out?

How did the oil intake look on the end of the oil tube in the reservoir?

Here is a link to the parts diagram that might help as you go through the oil pump.
https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/028/

Seems to be a rather common problem on some 028's
I've operated quite a few of the 028's and have about 3 and couple of them will leak bar oil sometimes during storage. I finally just started dumping out the oil and storing the saws on something similar to a cookie plate.
Sometimes opening and closing the oil fill cap before storing will reduce the leak.

Let us know what you find?

Sorry for the delay in replying. I changed out the oil pump again, and I've run the say about 2 hours, and it hasn't leaked any at all. I don't know what happened. Maybe it just leaks sometimes like has been stated?

I ran it again yesterday for a little while. I had about a half tank of gas in it and about a half tank of oil. When I stopped I was almost out of gas, and checked the oil and it was pretty much empty. Is that about right on oil usage?

I ran it again yesterday for a little while. I had about a half tank of gas in it and about a half tank of oil. When I stopped I was almost out of gas, and checked the oil and it was pretty much empty. Is that about right on oil usage?

Yep.
Fill it with gas and bar oil next time around. I like to see some bar oil still in the tank when the gas is getting weak.

Back