Stihl 028 oil tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

028 super

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been cutting some firewood with a late 028 super and it is stingy with oil. I have flushed the tank, and run a mix of bar oil and diesel through is and it still barely pumps oil. I have come to the conclusion the tank vent may be plugged. I was thinking the vent was behind bar mount wear plate, but nothing looked like the vent under there. Where is the vent located? I did notice the last time I checked the oil tank today it had a vacuum to it when I took off the cap .

drive gears are good and it oils with the bar off and watching the oil hole. It goes thru about a 1/3 of a tank of oil per fill up of mix. its just stingy.

The oil tank valve is found on the bar pad, you need to take the inner guide plate off to find/see it. Looks like a recessed silver disc with a hole in the center, part number from Stihl, 1128 640 9100

Drive gears are good and it oils with the bar off and watching the oil hole. It goes thru about a 1/3 of a tank of oil per fill up of mix. It's just stingy.
I say leave it alone unless the bar overheats and shuts the saw down. I've notice that all of my 028's also do not waste bar oil. Fabulous saws and one of the best models that Stihl ever made.

I know what the 028's are like I have 6 and this one is by far drier than the other ones. And it used to oil good, I've had this saw about 12 years.

I took my saw down yesterday. Mine is a front tension saw but has the case designed for side tension. #6 is what # 25 rotates on for a side tension saw. I did not try to remove it as I did not want to cause more problems. I blew everything off on that side of the saw, removed the oil pump and blew out all the passages. I have an late Parts saw I may try to remove #6 to see if it is a vent. I am hoping with a good cleaning it may oil better. I found nothing wrong and the pump looks like new inside.

Latest posts

Back