Stihl 028 oil tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that. If #25 doesn't set on #6 where is #6 located in relation to the bar studs. Above them or below them? Your last photo is the early case half.

# 6 is the silver disc with the small hole in it, in the slightly recessed bore just above the bar studs at the rear of the oil channel in the bar pad, its called a ,valve, in the Stihl parts nomenclature. They are located in the same place on all the 028 models.

Yes I found it. I do not know why I could not see it yesterday. I blew air thru it this afternoon and cut a tank full of wood and it oiled like it should. Now I just got to get my 038 to oil better. I went and checked the oil vent on it and cut a tank of bigger stuff with it and it is still kinda dry. I have been thru everything but the oil pump on that one, so the next snowy day I will go thru the pump on that. Thanks for all your help. I do appreciate it.

On the IPL I have, part #5 is the valve: 1118 640 9100. The Pics here supplied by HarleyT were far more informative than the IPL I have that was probably drawn at least 25 years ago. I have to wonder if that could be the same part that's causing one of my friends to have oiling problems with his vintage 024AV.

On the IPL I have, part #5 is the valve: 1118 640 9100. The Pics here supplied by HarleyT were far more informative than the IPL I have that was probably drawn at least 25 years ago. I have to wonder if that could be the same part that's causing one of my friends to have oiling problems with his vintage 024AV.

That`s a possibility, usually causes a stingy condition for a long period before it stops the oiler all together. I often just remove the oil cap, drain down the oil and blow a bit of comp air through them, seems to clean them out enough they work fine afterward. I had one stuck open once gave it a couple shots of brake cleaner and I left the cover on, blew just one small blast of air through it, it pressurized the tank and that same pressure then closed the ball in the valve. Opened the oil tank cap to bleed off the pressure from the oil tank and that one has worked fine since. When nothing else works then they just need to be punched on through into the oil tank and a new one pressed in.

Yes I found it. I do not know why I could not see it yesterday. I blew air thru it this afternoon and cut a tank full of wood and it oiled like it should. Now I just got to get my 038 to oil better. I went and checked the oil vent on it and cut a tank of bigger stuff with it and it is still kinda dry. I have been thru everything but the oil pump on that one, so the next snowy day I will go thru the pump on that. Thanks for all your help. I do appreciate it.
My 038 is a super. It has an adjustable oil pump. IDK if a non super has that feature or not. Is yours a super?

Its a Magnum II with an adjustable oilier. It is adequate, but I would like to see it oil a bit more.

What IPL are you looking at?
I realize this post is old, and you've probably all sorted it out by now. but for those still seeking answers:: It appears to be a check-valve to prevent vacuum in the oil reservoir. If there is not any way for the oil tank to get fresh air, the vacuum will retard oil flow. All three of my 028s are also stingy with the oil,,, new pumps, cleaned channels and holes, and proper drive gears. But, they seem to lubricate just fine despite the fact that they don't sling oil all over the kitchen floor.

I realize this post is old, and you've probably all sorted it out by now. but for those still seeking answers:: It appears to be a check-valve to prevent vacuum in the oil reservoir. If there is not any way for the oil tank to get fresh air, the vacuum will retard oil flow. All three of my 028s are also stingy with the oil,,, new pumps, cleaned channels and holes, and proper drive gears. But, they seem to lubricate just fine despite the fact that they don't sling oil all over the kitchen floor.
You cut wood in the kitchen?
Your wife must really be mellow...

Back