Stihl 028 porting advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbackjack

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding a 028 AV and have purchased a 028 super piston and cylinder. It is an offshore kit and not very good but I am a beginner at porting ( have only ported 2 other saws Partner 500 and Husky 55) so I do not want to destroy an expensive cylinder kit. Apparently I may be buying a new one for this saw. Stock timing on the cylinder is EX 102 IN 72 and Trans 130. Stock squish is .035. In my attempts to set the squish at .20 I had an issue with the lathe and removed too much from the base so my timing numbers are now Ex 107. In 77 and Trans 140. I have fixed the squish it is now at .020.
I am thinking Ex. at 105 intake at 78 and take trans back to 130 to get back to a 25 degree blowdown. I am a bit concerned about grinding the transfers that much for fear of coming through the cylinder. Can anyone advise me on what is my best course of action? Leave the transfers at 140, blowdown of 35 degrees or is this too much and I need to get the blowdown closer to 25 degrees for the saw to run ok. Any advice would be appreciated. The saw will be a firewood cutter for my son. I am new to porting saws but this hobby is really addictive and I am really enjoying learning a lot about chainsaws.

I never ported a 028, but you can add a thicker base gasket to get your numbers closer to where you started from if you are worried rather then using Motoseal or something of the like. But have you checked your squish to make sure it's not too tight?

Whoops my bad I see you checked the squish! Longer blow down is good for torque depends on cc class and other factors, for giggles put it back together and try it out, being a woods saw I would open up the secondaries and leave the primaries alone just help guide the flow, clean up your piston windows maybe open them up a smidge, port match the exhaust and intake, maybe do a little intake work directing your air flow down into the crank case and put it back together and try that first before going too crazy thankfully they come apart pretty easy

Latest posts

Back