stihl 028 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeWLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up an stihl 028 super at a pawn shop for $70 that looks to be in "Excellent" condition. Its starts and idles great. When I rev it up to cut it revs fine for 10-30 seconds and then starts to die out. Sometimes it is fine and other times it comes up to full power and then starts to die off. When us dies off if I put the choke on and off it will rev up. Can you guys give me some help with this? Thanks
Greg

Either the fuel filter is plugged or the carb need adjustment, If you're not too mechanically inclined, take it to the dealer, they should be able to set you straight. The high setting could be too rich OR too lean, both conditions will cause these symptoms.

Inspect the fuel and impulse lines for cracks. Take the rubber
cap off of the fuel filter and look at the foam insert. When the
saw gets old, the foam breaks up and collects in the screen inside
the carb. Do not keep running it or you will damage the piston.
Let us know what you find, there are a bunch of knowledgeable
nuts here

If thie saw runs with the choke on, then I would think it would be running too lean on the hi-rpm side. Since you bought the saw used I would check all the things that the other members said to check. If you feel confident, take a screwdriver and turn the hi adjustment screw counter-clockwise an 1/8 turn at a time and see if that makes a difference. Make sure your air and fuel filters are clean first. Good luck. Let us know the outcome. Rich.

Latest posts

Back