Stihl 028 w/SEM coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis028

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already. I have a 028 with the SEM coil and I believe the coil is bad. I ordered the 000-400-1300 which should work from what I've read on here. Do I need to turn the flywheel to the Bosch keyway or leave it on SEM?

Don't know what an SEM coil is but I just had two solid state trigger failures on my 028 and then I put a used coil from an 029 or 290 or something as recomended by the fellas here and it seems to be working just fine. The 000-400-1300 sounds right IIRC.

Thanks for the info. Apparently they put SEM brand coils on some of the 028s but the majority came with Bosch. The flywheels came with 2 notches for shaft key, one sets the timing for SEM and the other for Bosch.

Don't know if this wil help but my old coil was "Germany", # 2204 222 057, The coil I got, 0000 400 1300 was a drop in plug and play.

I ended up having to switch the flywheel over to the Bosch slot but the coil wasn't my problem. I still have the same issue.

It starts no problem. It will run for about 30sec then dies. I have rebuilt the carb, replaced the gas tank vent tube, new plug and coil, replaced the crank seals. The impulse tube is fine.

If your fuel line in the tank is old, it may have become soft. When this happens the pressure in the gas tank (which builds up as the saw runs due to vibration) can cause the fuel line to collapse and close off stopping fuel flow....and it runs out of gas! (even with a full tank of fuel). Once it stop and the tank pressure goes away, then the line opens up allowing fuel to flow and you can start it again. So you might want to check that line inside the tank to see if it is soft and mooshy.

If your fuel line in the tank is old, it may have become soft. When this happens the pressure in the gas tank (which builds up as the saw runs due to vibration) can cause the fuel line to collapse and close off stopping fuel flow....and it runs out of gas! (even with a full tank of fuel). Once it stop and the tank pressure goes away, then the line opens up allowing fuel to flow and you can start it again. So you might want to check that line inside the tank to see if it is soft and mooshy.

The fuel pickup tube/filter and the tank vent tube are new . After it shuts off if I keep pulling it will flood itself out. I checked the compression last night and it's about 105 which I believe is okay but on the lower end.

Latest posts

Back