Stihl 028 WB metal tank cleanout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcommercial

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, just acquired an earlier 028WB with the good old metal tank....saw looks awesome cosmetically...however, upon inspection of this $70 score (before I paid the guy) I found that the inside of the tank is all nasty looking with chipping paint etc. it’s a low-use machine that’s obviously sat in it’s nearly new case more than it’s ever cut wood. I just want to clean out the tank (magnesium) and put on new fuel and pulse lines and new intake boot and see if it’ll go for me. Btw it’s early enough to just have the old-style hand guard..no chain brake . Please please please...thoughts and info on what is safe to use to clean out the fuel tank!!!!

Thanks a bunch ahead of time!

JS

Normally I would suggest vinegar but that's a no-go on magnesium. I would drain the tank, find a handful of broken glass from a car window (you want the little cubes not shards) and fill the tank half way with soapy water and a handful of the glass. Swish and shake like a James Bond martini for 10-15 minutes, rinse and check results. Once it's cleaned to your liking I would look into one of the epoxy tank sealing products to seal up the magnesium and any other loose paint. Make sure to replace the fuel line and filter AFTER you're done cleaning it.

Old thread, but I've had success cleaning old motorcycle fuel tanks using ball bearings and air rifle BBs. The cubed glass peices are optimal, but not required.

The paint I used was a product called Kreame, designed for fuel tanks. Works good on those 5 gallon Jerry cans too.
Its been 15 years since I did it though.

Latest posts

Back