Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Stihl 028 WB metal tank cleanout

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by mrcommercial, Jul 25, 2018.

1. mrcommercial

mrcommercial ArboristSite Lurker

Hello, just acquired an earlier 028WB with the good old metal tank....saw looks awesome cosmetically...however, upon inspection of this $70 score (before I paid the guy) I found that the inside of the tank is all nasty looking with chipping paint etc. it’s a low-use machine that’s obviously sat in it’s nearly new case more than it’s ever cut wood. I just want to clean out the tank (magnesium) and put on new fuel and pulse lines and new intake boot and see if it’ll go for me. Btw it’s early enough to just have the old-style hand guard..no chain brake . Please please please...thoughts and info on what is safe to use to clean out the fuel tank!!!!

Thanks a bunch ahead of time!

JS

2. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

Normally I would suggest vinegar but that's a no-go on magnesium. I would drain the tank, find a handful of broken glass from a car window (you want the little cubes not shards) and fill the tank half way with soapy water and a handful of the glass. Swish and shake like a James Bond martini for 10-15 minutes, rinse and check results. Once it's cleaned to your liking I would look into one of the epoxy tank sealing products to seal up the magnesium and any other loose paint. Make sure to replace the fuel line and filter AFTER you're done cleaning it.

3. mrcommercial

mrcommercial ArboristSite Lurker

Thanks Ironman! Will do that as soon as I find some busted (cubed) glass on the roadside.

Thanks again

JS

4. scottr

scottr Addicted to ArboristSite

Mrc , try a search on Quicksilver Fuel System Cleaner .