Stihl 028 WB Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Churine

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am new here and wanted to post here about my new project. A little background. I’m a Marine heading over seas for a year and wanted to take a project with me to keep me busy on my down time. I have a Stihl 028 WB. I have gotten it running but it is spitting fuel out of the carb and flooding the filter and then it will die. So I plan to tear it apart and rebuild it. I have read the other builds on here and have gotten a lot if information. I will most likely have questions over time and will post them up here. This is my first project like this so it will be a learning experience.

My first issue I am running into is finding a muffler. The PO modified one to fit it but it’s not working right. This is a hard muffler to find without breaking the bank. Are there any mufflers from other Stihl models that will fit? Thanks for the help.

This is what I am starting with. The bar was bent so I took it off and will be getting a new bar and chain.

Ok. Hopefully someone will chime in at some point. I will have to find a coil as well.

Don’t mean to hi-jack the thread at all but are the 028/038 intake boots interchangeable?

Reason I ask is I did an 028 rebuild awhile back for a buddy, diggin’ through 028 parts and came across a boot but the googled OEM part number shows 038. Wondering why i have one new in package..

Edit: Stihl have MS290 OEM coil if needed..

So I got ahold of a muffler and the entire chain brake assembly. Will be shipped out tomorrow. The movers came today and packed up all my stuff to go over seas. Won’t see it for a month but when I get going on it I’ll post back up my progress.

I pulled the muffler off the other and found there is some serious scoring on the piston. I am wondering if I should buy a new piston and rings and have the jug cleaned and honed or upgrade to the 46mm. I have read all the other builds and replacing the piston and jug seem to be the thing to do. Just don’t know if I want to spend the money on it.

Latest posts

Back