Stihl 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davis6212

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello I'm "new" to the site. I have been on the past few weeks just reading all info I can. But this is my first post now. I picked up a stihl 028 av wb at auction for 100 bucks. I prlly would have never picked it up if it wasn't for this site. It somewhat runs. It idles fine but when at WOT it just loses all power and dies. I have cleaned out the high and low settings with carb cleaner and set back to 1.25 turns. The muffler was just plumb full of carbon. Had to soak in parts washer to get clean. My compression tester is broke so I'm not sure there. I'm wondering if maybe I need to rebuild the carb, replace fuel, and impulse lines. Hopeing it's something small otherwise it will have to wait. Ive got a 372 on the bench at the moment. Any thoughts would be great.

I like to replace the rubber parts when I pick up an old saw for piece of mind. A couple bucks could save you hours of frustration. Rebuild the carb if the manifold is stiff and replace all the lines.

I have the 372 028 ms180c and a 327p5. 372 and 028 are new I think im getting addicted haha

I replaced fuel and impulse lines and rebuilt the carb runs awesome now. Took it a step further and did a muffler mod. Prlly gonna throw it on the bench this winter and by the super kit.

I replaced the fuel and impulse lines and rebuilt the carb. It runs awesome now. I took it a step further and did a muffler mod. I am ptobably going to throw it on the bench until this winter, Then I will buy the super kit.
Why throw it on the bench until this winter? Don't you want to cut firewood now? Are you planning to use this saw? I guess I'm lost. Davis, please forgive my editing. I may have made a mistake while translating whatever you wrote.

Why throw it on the bench until this winter? Don't you want to cut firewood now? Are you planning to use this saw? I guess I'm lost. Davis, please forgive my editing. I may have made a mistake while translating whatever you wrote.
Yes I have firewood to cut but money at the moment. I just got done fixing a husky 372 so I think the wife would kill me if I spent any more money. Haha. Plus it works fine like it is now. Of course would be better with more power

Yes I have firewood to cut but money at the moment. I just got done fixing a husky 372 so I think the wife would kill me if I spent any more money. Haha. Plus it works fine like it is now. Of course would be better with more power
Don't compare the 028's power to a Husky 372. The 372 is a much newer and bigger $700 saw. I doubt you could sell any 028 today for much more than $250 even if in spotless condition. That's the way it is.

Ya I know it doesn't hold a candle to the 372 power. but I went to cut some brush out last weekend and the 028 is just so easy to grab and has decent power. A little bit more would just be nice. I got the 372 to cut down oak trees

Davis, Illinois was where I lived between the age of 10 and 30. Not too many folks I knew back then talked about oak trees and/or chain saws. That included me. But, it was a great place to study engineering, so that's what I did. I bought my first chain saw when I was 32, so you are ahead of me. It's a terrific hobby, and think of it this way. That 028 could easily be as old as you are and sounds like it runs rather well. A new carb may be on your list for that saw. Amazing what that could do, assuming you have good compression.

Welcome to the forum!

Hey Davis I have a 028 wb also. Any pictures of your muffler mod or how did you do it ? Also how much of an adjustment did you have to make on your jets after the mod ?
thanks

Hey Davis I have a 028 wb also. Any pictures of your muffler mod or how did you do it ? Also how much of an adjustment did you have to make on your jets after the mod ?
thanks
The muffler mod I followed a guy that did it here I'll see if I can find it. I still need to make the outside hole a little prettier. And for the jets i tune by ear so i couldnt really say much I exactly tuned by. Sorry I'm not much info on it

Davis, Illinois was where I lived between the age of 10 and 30. Not too many folks I knew back then talked about oak trees and/or chain saws. That included me. But, it was a great place to study engineering, so that's what I did. I bought my first chain saw when I was 32, so you are ahead of me. It's a terrific hobby, and think of it this way. That 028 could easily be as old as you are and sounds like it runs rather well. A new carb may be on your list for that saw. Amazing what that could do, assuming you have good compression.

Welcome to the forum!
It's still that way where I'm at. Not very many people into chainsaws that I know of. I really enjoy fixing them. That's what got me into buying more. I started with a ms180 that was given to me about 4 years ago. I also enjoy cutting and my boys that 4 and 6 love to help me stack wood. And yes the saw is older me. I'm 31. I believe it was 82 to 85 on year made. Still amazed how well it runs with just some new rubber pieces and a carb clean. And I can't say enough good things about this site.

Latest posts

Back