STIHL 029 Spitting gas from muffler, won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROOKIE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stihl model 029s ran fine saturday sunday it would not even hit. When starting it gas ran out of the muffler. I thought it flooded but after an hour of sitting it did the same thing again. HELP.

Have you checked to see if you are getting spark? How much are you having to pull on the start cord before you start getting gas out of the muffler, a few times or are you pulling a bunch times before the gas starts flooding out the cylinder?

I don't know on the first attempt to start it. But' on the other tries I pulled just a few times and it spit gas each time.

First you will have to find out if you are getting spark, just trying to figure out if it is the spark or if your carb is needing rebuilt because it is just dumping to much gas into the intake and flooding it out. There are other things I'm sure and people with alot more knowledge of saw engines than I have but getting some information will help them to give you an answer, now I have a question to the engine mechs here, if the key was sheared would this cause it to not fire and act like this? but if the saw was running fine then all the sudden wouldn't work after being used I would think if it was the key it would have acted up when the saw was being used the last time?

Thank you lost, When I get home I will check for spark. If it is sparking, what would you try next?

Don't be in such a rush. You probably have a crankcase full of fuel. Make sure that is gone and then look for a spark. If you have spark and compression the worst case is that you need to RB the carb.
Good Luck, John........

One more question also, is the air filter clean?

John, how would I get the fuel out of the crankcase. Sorry if this is a "ROOKIE QUESTION".

LOST: The air filter is new, it just came out of the shop and has been used twice since the tune-up.

lostone said:
First you will have to find out if you are getting spark, just trying to figure out if it is the spark or if your carb is needing rebuilt because it is just dumping to much gas into the intake and flooding it out. There are other things I'm sure and people with alot more knowledge of saw engines than I have but getting some information will help them to give you an answer, now I have a question to the engine mechs here, if the key was sheared would this cause it to not fire and act like this? but if the saw was running fine then all the sudden wouldn't work after being used I would think if it was the key it would have acted up when the saw was being used the last time?
Flywheel keys just don't break. They need a reason like a loose flywheel. Lawnmowers break keys all the time becuase people hit rocks and stumps so the mower blade stops faster than the flywheel. Did you stop your saw real suddenly? If you're going to start pulling flywheels 'just to make sure' do yourself a favor and buy the correct puller and do it right. To answer part of your question though your saw will stiill have good spark with a sheared key. The timing will be off though it's hard to verify this without a way to check the timing. Also there is always the chance that to flywheel will stop moving in the correct spot if the key is sheared.
John.........

Thanks John, I am wondering if it isnt the spark then its the needle valve not seating properly causing it to flood out, he's saying he just got it back from the shop and that it has a new air filter, I wonder if the fuel filter and spark plug where replaced as well? in other words wondering if something got into the fuel line to the carb when the filter was replaced or if it could be a bad plug? but until he finds out if he has spark or not I would think this is irrelevant.

ROOKIE said:
John, how would I get the fuel out of the crankcase. Sorry if this is a "ROOKIE QUESTION".

1.pull the spark plug.
2. Drain the gas tank.
3. Make sure the switch is on 'off'.
3.5 hold the throttle wide open.
4. Pull the starter a bunch of times.
5. flip the saw upside down and pull it a few more times(make sure that you do this where no dirt will get into your engine).
6. Take a break.

If you can figure out how to put the piston at TDC you can do steps 1 through 2 and then just let the saw sit in the sun while you do something else. Just don't be in such a rush. If your life depends on getting the job done always have a spare saw.
John.......

Thank you John: I will follow thes directions. My small spare saw did save me sunday. I am a Rookie so you patients is appreciated.

Lost: The plugs, fuel filter, air filter,plug wire,and ignition module were listed on the work order from the local stihl dealer.

ROOKIE said:
Lost: The plugs, fuel filter, air filter,plug wire,and ignition module were listed on the work order from the local stihl dealer.
Is this work the Stihl dealer did recently? If so take it back and let him do the job you just paid him to do. If not learn to do it yourself.
John......

whatsnext said:
Is this work the Stihl dealer did recently? If so take it back and let him do the job you just paid him to do.
John......
I agree, if he was into the ignition and fuel system, then I would take the saw back and have him repair it.

Probably the spark arrestor screen.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
WOW:JOHN, I will take it back to the dealer. As far as learning to do it myself, I thought I might learn from you guys and I think I have. I did not mean to bother you, but thank you again for helping a "ROOKIE LEARN TO DO IT HIMSELF" I will read this forum and not ask questions. Maybe this will help me learn to do it Myself ANd lostone thank you for trying to help, I felt like I could get some ammunition to take with me to the dealer.

Back