STIHL 029 Spitting gas from muffler, won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont think john meant not to ask questions. keep askin em, its how you learn.

I agree, i would look at the spark arrest screen first. A plugged up exhaust
might be the only trouble, which in turn fouled the plug.
I am curious about the dealer's work earlier. What did he do exactly to
the ignition module? Replace it? What did he charge you for? What did he
say he did? How old is the saw? Let us know.

Thank you to everyone who had the patients to help me. I followed the advice of several of you. I drained the gas pulled the plug, checked for spark, and drained the gas from the cylinder and let it sit a while. The saw fired right up. It ran good and did not flood out. I am now checking the spark arrester screen. I have learned from you guys and thanks again. Please be patient with the Rookies on this board, as long as they don't act like pros. FISH the saw is three years old it is a 290 stihl farm boss. It would not run when I took it to the dealer. He said he would tune it up. The invoice said spark plug air filter ingnition module and plug wire. He charged to replace all. Around $200.00

Good to hear its running Rookie. I wonder what caused it to flood out the first time tho compared to now?

I am checking the spark arrester for clogs. I understand that it may cause it to load up. Also , I don't know if this would have made it load with fuel but I turned it off right after running it hard, I did not allow it to idle down before shutting it off. I will let you know what I find in the spark arrester screen. THANKS!

Does the dealer drive a Porshe? I am skeptical of the whole situation, and I usually
give the dealer/shop/mechanic the benefit of doubt.
A weak metering spring, or leaky needle could have been your trouble from the
start, as ignition failures are ???? rare. And in earlier times, the ignitions had a lifetime warranty, the Stihl Platinum techs can elaborate on the warranty dates for us.
I am only a polished aluminum tech.
But after shutting down next time, don't worry about idling down crap, loosen the
gascap to relieve any built up pressure[if any], listen for any sound. A partially clogged vent can cause the saw to run hot, and in turn, cause the saw to build up
pressure in the tank after shut down. Not real common in Stihls, but worth checking.
Also avoid this dealer. Just my opinion. Or he should at least be obligated to pressure test your carb needle for you, as your saw is flooding, and he just did a
tuneup/raping on you. Also ask for the old ignition module, I will ebay it for you. It
is probably fine.

Thank you Fish. I will find a new Stihl Dealer. He is who I bought the saw from. He has built a new building since I bought the saw from him. Maybe I am a stock holder and don't know it yet. Friends have told me the same thing about the ignition module. I am happy with the stihl products that I own and won't change brands just dealers. The saw is runnig fine and has not flooded again. THANKS

$200 to fix a $330 saw when new. Whew, stihl dealer for profits. They need to cut out the middleman.

I thought that was really high too. From what ROOKIE said, it sounds like he has been charging the same to all his customers to afford a new building.

"But after shutting down next time, don't worry about idling down crap, loosen the gascap to relieve any built up pressure[if any], listen for any sound."

Good point from Fish and I do the same - never had any issues or problems.

Back