Stihl 029 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aufdy's lawn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've torn a 029 Super down, and knew it was scored pretty bad. But once I had it apart, I noticed that the scoring looks more like it suffered a heat seizure. It was scored clear across the exhaust side, one side, and 2 different spots on the intake side. I just want to know if I should look at replacing the crank bearings and seals, of if they might be alright

The crank bearings and seal are EZ to install, I would put in new seals , if the bearings feel good they should be alright. They are strong saws with a 390 cylinder and a cross pop up piston in them

I figured the seals, since they take no time to do. Can you post a link for the piston you're talking about? And where would you recommend getting the seals?

I would get the seals at a dealer.

You might also think about a new fuel and impulse line at this time. Also, once you have it back together, consider doing a vacuum and pressure check of the case before you fire her up.

Roy

I figured I should do the lines as well.... definitely a lot easier to do the small stuff now, than have to rebuild because of bad small parts.

Can any of you tell me anything about the pop up pistons? I get that they increase compression, but do I have to do anything to the timing or anything else?

I managed to find just the piston and rings, which runs about $30. Any recommendations of am cylinders? I haven't looked to see if I think I can clean the cylinder up, but I want to have a back up plan

Back