Stihl 031av brake band removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Jerrry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

I have a disassembled saw that I'm restoring but having trouble determining how to remove the brake band from the saw housing. Below is a sample pic of the brake band and associated bits.

turdsday_015_1024x1024.JPG

With the end with the pin in the upper right of the pic - does it all come out as one as you cannot use a punch on that pin? I tried using needle pliers on the band itself but there is not enough room to grab anything. Its the pin end that is wedged tight into the housing

Any help would be appreciated

That part catalogue would be very handy for reassembling the entire saw....are they publicly available? I have a user manual somewhere but I dont believe it had this level of detail.

Thanks mate.

Got the part of in the end, stopped being so gentle with it and just levered it up as close to the end as possible. Funny how 40 odd years of crud get those parts stuck in real good.

While I am asking about the 031av....if I wanted to get an oem Stihl bar to suit, will the bars being sold to fit current gen Stihl saws fit or has the pitch / bolt pattern or something changed since the 031 was made?

Thanks mate, probably the easiest purchase as I was able to pick up an 18 inch rollomatic straight from a Stihl dealer.

Apart from the 032,031 are there any other Stihl saws in that generation that have the metal top housing cover as opposed to the plastic?

Thanks mate, probably the easiest purchase as I was able to pick up an 18 inch rollomatic straight from a Stihl dealer.

Apart from the 032,031 are there any other Stihl saws in that generation that have the metal top housing cover as opposed to the plastic?

041 o45 056 056 super and 056 magnum and magnumII and to be on the top of it the 090 , 076 , 075 , 051 050 You might be a green horn with your questions but I am only a few steps ahead of you.. Then when you get Stihl kind of figured out be prepared for the onslaught of Jonsered and Husqvarna and dolmar and Pioneer and Mcculoch and no if your CAD is Bad there is no piece of mind

Thanks, you have to excuse my ignorance, the 031AV is my first Stihl saw. I've only seen an 034av which has plastic top case - popular saw over here in Australia but I like the metal top housing from a powder coating resto perspective.

Any suggestions for a non Stihl saw (that are relatively cheap) to potentially buy to restore that has similar metal housing with at least some part availability? I have a McCulloch 710 but not many spares around so I left it as is.

Just bought another 031av - the bigger old Stihl saws command quite the premium in Australia...figure I need an 031av to actually use as the one I am doing the full resto on - I've put to much effort into it to want to get it dirty so it will be for display only....not sure if that is sacrilege around here.

Back