Stihl 034 AV woes continued ( in chainsaw threads)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob, thanks. Makes sense. Thanks for your reply. When I get in there, I want to have everything I need So the carb hose and air hose in the gas tank? And may as well get the oiler hose as well? New bearings and bearing seals. All gaskets.
They have gasket kits on fleabay with bearings n seals. So this stuff is all junk? Are you saying go OEM?? I would bet OEM are made in China as well!!
Over?

I had continued muffler issues with my 034AV Super until I got the factory Stihl screws with the locking teeth built in. No issues since, but I should probably keep a couple spare screws in the woods toolbox with the spare chains anyway. They're so inexpensive it's not worth even looking at aftermarket parts there.

Edit: My comment above about aftermarket parts was about the screws, other saw parts I've only used a Chinese carb kit and wound up regretting it and going back to a dealer carb kit. I've never once regretted buying a higher quality tool, I have regretted trying to cheap out plenty of times. Eventually I'll learn my lesson.

For crank seals, bearings, fuel lines... absolutely 100% OEM. They might be made in China as well, but they are made to a higher standard. Oiler hose, replace if you don't want it marking its territory at night or there is a major leak. That can be done after the fact. So could the fuel line, but if it is bad it can ruin the top end. Plus, even OEM it is relatively inexpensive... Edit: fuel hose and filter for me 034S from the stihlership were ~$17. I just can't fathom risking a top end at that price. Rebuild it right it'll likely last another 20+ years. That simply will not happen with most of the aftermarket junk...

Rob, thanks. Makes sense. Thanks for your reply. When I get in there, I want to have everything I need So the carb hose and air hose in the gas tank? And may as well get the oiler hose as well? New bearings and bearing seals. All gaskets.
They have gasket kits on fleabay with bearings n seals. So this stuff is all junk? Are you saying go OEM?? I would bet OEM are made in China as well!!
Over?
Go OEM

I agree, wouldn't even consider China Ebay parts for any of this.

You're a busy man, you've had to carefully plan and put off other things to clear this firewood cutting time. You've gotten up at 5am on a weekend, it's first light after an hour drive to the woods. You've just finished your bacon and eggs and taters, and poured a second cup of coffee(when I go to the woods, I bring a camp stove and do it right).

Time to fire up the saw and get to work. 18 pulls later you got two coughs and a wheeze. 20 pulls later you got it to run for three seconds. A dozen pulls and some carb screw fiddling later, you get it to kinda sorta run for a bit and then stall. You're dead in the water.

You did EXACTLY the same amount of work to install the Chinese parts as it would have taken to install OEM parts. You saved $50 on the Chinese parts vs. Stihl OEM parts. Now, in that instant in the woods with a boat anchor saw, would you hand someone $50 if they could snap their fingers and have your saw run beautifully? You're getting exactly that option, the only difference is the time period. You have to make that choice now, not in the woods.

I agree, wouldn't even consider China Ebay parts for any of this.

You're a busy man, you've had to carefully plan and put off other things to clear this firewood cutting time. You've gotten up at 5am on a weekend, it's first light after an hour drive to the woods. You've just finished your bacon and eggs and taters, and poured a second cup of coffee(when I go to the woods, I bring a camp stove and do it right).

Time to fire up the saw and get to work. 18 pulls later you got two coughs and a wheeze. 20 pulls later you got it to run for three seconds. A dozen pulls and some carb screw fiddling later, you get it to kinda sorta run for a bit and then stall. You're dead in the water.

You did EXACTLY the same amount of work to install the Chinese parts as it would have taken to install OEM parts. You saved $50 on the Chinese parts vs. Stihl OEM parts. Now, in that instant in the woods with a boat anchor saw, would you hand someone $50 if they could snap their fingers and have your saw run beautifully? You're getting exactly that option, the only difference is the time period. You have to make that choice now, not in the woods.
Yup ,maybe once you explained it this way they will listen.

All points well taken, and totally agree. I am a slow learner. But I will always put out the extra doe for quality.Well worth it in time and energy saved. Almost everything is made to throw away these days. Pretty sad. This saw I will pass down to my granddaughter! I ran it yesterday for a good solid couple hours, till the muffler fell off. And the screws where OEM. But I am sure the guy that sold it to me has over torqued them over time, and the threads have "wallered" out! No harm in a little thread sealer I hope?

All points well taken, and totally agree. I am a slow learner. But I will always put out the extra doe for quality.Well worth it in time and energy saved. Almost everything is made to throw away these days. Pretty sad. This saw I will pass down to my granddaughter! I ran it yesterday for a good solid couple hours, till the muffler fell off. And the screws where OEM. But I am sure the guy that sold it to me has over torqued them over time, and the threads have "wallered" out! No harm in a little thread sealer I hope?
They need to be fixed right if they are stripped. You need a thread repair kit.

Yup ,maybe once you explained it this way they will listen.
Well maybe the OP will but almost every conversation these days goes to AM parts, why not and how come and all parts are made in China anyways. That is where I drop out of the convo, no serious builder will use AM China junk parts. They wanted to kick me off this site back when using cheap AM junk was being offered up by site sellers, when asked my opinion of these cheap parts I always stated not to use them for reliability reasons, still have that opinion. lone wolf, did you loose your pic. of that Chinese junk, boat.?

Well maybe the OP will but almost every conversation these days goes to AM parts, why not and how come and all parts are made in China anyways. That is where I drop out of the convo, no serious builder will use AM China junk parts. They wanted to kick me off this site back when using cheap AM junk was being offered up by site sellers, when asked my opinion of these cheap parts I always stated not to use them for reliability reasons, still have that opinion. lone wolf, did you loose your pic. of that Chinese junk, boat.?
th-3.jpg

Back