Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

float89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All. Newbie here. Great info, I find myself coming to this site all the time. Figured I might as well sign up and join in.

I have been given an old Stihl 034AV by my dad that needs some serious attention.

GOOD:
- Holds Gas
- Brake works
- Bar's straight
- Pull cord returns beautifully
- Turns over
- Complete Saw

BAD:
- Top end is smoked
- intake side looks OK but exaust is another story
- "oil dust" is hard packed and everywhere
- Probable oil leak (still has oil in it but seems oil is everywhere)
- missing a chunk out of the bottom of the alluminum clutch cover.

I tore into it basically down to the case. Jug/Piston and crank seals are on order. I went with the larger 036 (48mm) set up as that basically seems to be a no brainer. I cannot seem to find a correct clutch cover on ebay in usable decent shape. Can anyone tell me if all the variations in clutch covers work on everthing that ebay says it will? The listing have a range of models but some look similar some dont. I see a lot of them dont have the chain adjustment hole so thats a red flag but even some of the other ones just look a tad different and some are plastic which i dont really want either.

Currently have been cleaning it up the last few nights as I wait for parts but I dont really know where to draw the line on putting parts into it. What are the "just do it becasue its worth it while I am in there stuff". Fuel lines and the oil feed (post pump) line seem ok and not hard and brittle. The oil line from the tank to the pump I honestly dont even know where to begin with that one.

I got it because I will be heating with an OWB this next winter and I hope to use this saw as my main grunt (first "big" saw). I know it has potential and do think it is worth putting some money in it. While I have time I just want to make it's right and set my self up for as much success as possible.

Last thing is chain. I need to get a new chain and dont really know whats best. I believe the bar is a 20" 3/8 stihl. open to any suggestions on chains.

Thanks!
Tom

Welcome to Arboristsite. You are new, aren't you? Every so often someone posts a question that is very saw-centered. There is a "Chainsaws"forum further down the Arboristsite main page, down in the equipment section. People are glad to offer help here, but this forum is about milling. You will get more responses, and probably quicker, down in "Chainsaws."

Good luck getting this going. If you are wanting firewood for this coming winter, get cutting and splitting as soon as you can. It takes some time for it to dry.

abbott295

Back