Stihl 034 Ring End Gap.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's I good question. I just looked in my manual and I didn't see it either. Can't remember what I used when I rebuilt my 036. Is a new piston and rings ?

Attachments

• 20200301_042227.jpg
    20200301_042227.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200301_042243.jpg
    20200301_042243.jpg
    882.2 KB · Views: 9
I like to see .006 , but many say there is nothing wrong with .004 and up. It just depends on how hot the rings will get in its duties. In my liming saws I will run a tighter gap than in a bucking saw where longer dogged in run times create more heat and repetitive cuts are closer together, milling is about the hardest condition a chainsaw gets used for, so is cutting concrete on the demolition saws so a touch wider gap is useful in those saws.

I like to see .006 , but many say there is nothing wrong with .004 and up. It just depends on how hot the rings will get in its duties. In my liming saws I will run a tighter gap than in a bucking saw where longer dogged in run times create more heat and repetitive cuts are closer together, milling is about the hardest condition a chainsaw gets used for, so is cutting concrete on the demolition saws so a touch wider gap is useful in those saws.
Thanks mate :) that’s some interesting food for
thought. So no less than .004, but what can it go up to before the rings are too worn?

Excuse my ignorance - I’m pretty new to all this! If there is nothing wrong with the rings and they are within tolerance, why replace them, especially on a saw that isn’t worth investing new parts into?
Me Thinks You are tossing a cat in the snapping turtle barrel ..
Ff the saw is lightly used the rings are most likely fine but then the saw is worth the investment. if the saw is used and abused think of the hours of runtime on the rings and loose piston skirt (from wear) etc. and there is a boat load of pros and cons on this topic.

Me Thinks You are tossing a cat in the snapping turtle barrel ..
Ff the saw is lightly used the rings are most likely fine but then the saw is worth the investment. if the saw is used and abused think of the hours of runtime on the rings and loose piston skirt (from wear) etc. and there is a boat load of pros and cons on this topic.
If you saw my mag rot repair posts You’ll get an idea how bad it is. Sure I have repaired it, but now I’m dealing with a nikasil chip in cylinder too. It’s an old saw and I am repairing it, but I’m not going to chuck more $$$ into it then absolutely necessary. Throwing something out seems wasteful, if things are within tolerances and I’ll hardly use the saw anyway and will always have a backup saw to hand. This saw is all about me improving my ability
And knowledge with mechanics rather than a saw with any value. It’s not a very sought after saw and I have the 260 pro and 039 which are in mint condition so it’s just a bit of an odd one, it’s well used and I don’t want to spend hundreds on fixing it with good parts for that reason. Hence the reason for finding out if I can save the rings and thus save spending cash on a saw that’s not worth doing so.

Thank you @pioneerguy600 .

Early on, I always trusted Lakeside 53, aka Andy. He not only worked on more saws than any of us, but was a machinist too. His 0.005-0.008" seems right, except for really small/big saws.

Is your 0.006" safe zone for ~50-80cc?

I've done 2- 4- bikes , cars, tractors,...... But always want to know more....

If you saw my mag rot repair posts You’ll get an idea how bad it is. Sure I have repaired it, but now I’m dealing with a nikasil chip in cylinder too. It’s an old saw and I am repairing it, but I’m not going to chuck more $$$ into it then absolutely necessary. Throwing something out seems wasteful, if things are within tolerances and I’ll hardly use the saw anyway and will always have a backup saw to hand. This saw is all about me improving my ability
And knowledge with mechanics rather than a saw with any value. It’s not a very sought after saw and I have the 260 pro and 039 which are in mint condition so it’s just a bit of an odd one, it’s well used and I don’t want to spend hundreds on fixing it with good parts for that reason. Hence the reason for finding out if I can save the rings and thus save spending cash on a saw that’s not worth doing so.
I Wasn't connecting the Mag rot from a different thread and this thread didn't explain why this saw does not warrant new parts...
Until now ....... connecting the dots ... helps.
I really like my 034 ( No rot) and I do consider it a "sought" after saw.

Back