Stihl 034AV Super Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this thread.

I just picked up a well maintained, one-owner (friend, and not a professional) 34S that's in excellent condition; I've always had smaller machines and this thing has just ruined me for chainsaws.
Pleasure :)

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean when you say ruined you? Is that a reference to being spoilt owning a saw of that quality? Ruined you as in being larger and heavier than what you’re use to? Or something else?

Pleasure :)

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean when you say ruined you? Is that a reference to being spoilt owning a saw of that quality? Ruined you as in being larger and heavier than what you’re use to? Or something else?
spoilt owning a saw of that quality and capability.

I had a wonderful little 012 for the past 30 years which took care of most of my needs, and with friends who'd come over with their larger saws when needed (the one I bought being amongst them) I avoided getting a larger unit; but the 012's bar stud pulled out of the case and the repair didn't work. Broke my heart actually. My buddy with an 026, 034S and 440 decided, just last week, that he needs a larger saw and offered up the 34S; I'd never driven it, or anything that large. It took a little getting used to and I had to improve my starting technique but it's just fantastic.

I have put a few tanks through my 034 super now and it’s such a good all round size. It comfortably pulls a 20” bar with 3/8 full comp chain through very hard wood no problems.

I do really like my ms 260 because it’s light, but it’s no where near as capable. At only 1hp / 12cc’s and 700 -800 grams more the 034 super really surprises me at how good it is.

This is still not broken in in this video, yet it’s still impressive.

Back