Stihl 034AV Super Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

I brought a new saw and I’m doing a total overhaul so thought I’d share the process with all the ups and downs. The only thing that went wrong so far was forgetting to remove the cylinder gasket before splitting the case. I did wonder why it was so hard to push the crank through! Then it went bang and the cases split, along with my cylinder gasket! It would have been replaced anyway so no big deal..

08E79B37-8A8D-499A-8276-2D61D6BC0A99.jpeg63972483-56DB-486B-B55B-E193CE771AEA.jpeg1D86D5C8-A3A6-4E17-A79C-292CC8BE496A.jpegEB9804CE-FC52-4DFB-B9C2-A33545251664.jpeg3C3BEF1B-6443-4E8D-B0C0-439F32264724.jpeg
79B66E79-1314-439C-9070-A69CB8FC1169.jpeg
9CF31DD8-ACFB-4D07-801F-3BDC62F47F4B.jpeg
C425B5ED-D2F0-44DC-B7A0-8DC1E0B6B3DA.jpeg
Time to clean...

So what was wrong with it?
Its age, I need it to be dependable for work and also, while parts are still available through stihl, I want to make the most of it. A good job now and this will outlast me. I enjoy the process too of course and it’s more experience I can glean from.

I’m going to do new bearings all over, seals, lines, manifold, piston rings, carb kit, o-rings and a few other bits. Remove the carbon in the exhaust port and top of the cylinder and piston, new clutch drum, clutch springs, rim sprocket and bar, de-rust the exhaust and spray it black, new air filter and o-rings for the tank caps.

Where did you think the bolts were going to go?

Over here all of the supers came with a KS jug. That does not look like one. Has it been swapped at some point?
I tend to keep the bolts in place rather than have heaps all stuffed together. I have found it especially useful on the older stihls more so than these, but it’s something that streamlines things for me.

No no, it’s a KS Jug.
0C5CF482-A539-4C78-959A-EF1157DBC632.jpeg

i know you like to scrub saws, but I’m not sure why you’re wasting time and money replacing perfectly good parts.
The parts will be saved and go on future saws that aren’t worth spending new on but require parts to be replaced.

As above, I need it to be dependable as this will be my primary saw for work and 40 year old rubber parts aren’t.

It’s so much more than just a rebuild too though, it’s more experience I can glean from and better myself. I want to move more in the direction of repair work and the best way to improve is to work on as many saws as I can. There is a bigger picture than can just be seen here online with saw opportunities for me in the not too distant future.

So it’s a combination of want, need, education and enjoyment.

Looks good to me. Nothing at all wrong with a clean, methodical approach.

I, and several other people in my circle, have enjoyed a LOT of warm nights due to my 034AV Super putting BTUs in the wood stove. That's what's burning right this second as I type this. Comparing it to the current new equivalent MS362, I see less than a tenth of a hp increase, and almost a pound increase in weight, for the new model.

No doubt the MS362 is a nice saw, but I'll stick with my 034AV Super.

Looks good to me. Nothing at all wrong with a clean, methodical approach.

I, and several other people in my circle, have enjoyed a LOT of warm nights due to my 034AV Super putting BTUs in the wood stove. That's what's burning right this second as I type this. Comparing it to the current new equivalent MS362, I see less than a tenth of a hp increase, and almost a pound increase in weight, for the new model.

No doubt the MS362 is a nice saw, but I'll stick with my 034AV Super.
Thank you! I’m not a fan of the 362 personally. It’s bulky and has very weak springs. The thing flops around even just picking it up.
Warm regards.

Well all of my parts are on order - I made a trip to the shop this morning as planned. All that’s left now is to clean the muffler a little (not going to strip and paint it, I’d rather original appearance and put the carb in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I picked up a new 20” es light bar and chain for it while I was there.

E6E13D48-4E3F-46B6-98CB-B0A6C793911D.jpeg

Back