Stihl 034av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingbilly68

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy an 034av with a pretty new 20” stihl bar that runs and cuts good for $200. The guy says it isn’t oiling but the chain had oil on it. It has “made in West Germany” on the logo. What do you think? Good price?

I have a chance to buy an 034av with a pretty new 20” stihl bar that runs and cuts good for $200. The guy says it isn’t oiling but the chain had oil on it. It has “made in
West Germany” on the logo. What do you think? Good price?

Welcome to AS.

Would help to see some pictures for condition of saw. If you can, pull the muffler and inspect the piston and cylinder.

There are a number of reason the saw might not oil. Could be simple as a clogged oil pickup filter, or problems with the oil pump itself. Have a look in the oil tank for debris/clogged filter/bad pickup hose. Does it leak oil? No oil at all?

I didn’t take any pics unfortunately. I’ll pull the muffler before I buy it for sure. It seemed to oil when I ran it for a few minutes. The guy said he just had the pump replaced but it stopped oiling again. I figured I would pull the pickup line and replace the filter and clean the oil tank. All that being said, if the piston looks good, is $200 a good price for the saw?

Welcome to AS.

Would help to see some pictures for condition of saw. If you can, pull the muffler and inspect the piston and cylinder.

There are a number of reason the saw might not oil. Could be simple as a clogged oil pickup filter, or problems with the oil pump itself. Have a look in the oil tank for debris/clogged filter/bad pickup hose. Does it leak oil? No oil at all?

And thanks for the welcome

I didn’t take any pics unfortunately. I’ll pull the muffler before I buy it for sure. It seemed to oil when I ran it for a few minutes. The guy said he just had the pump replaced but it stopped oiling again. I figured I would pull the pickup line and replace the filter and clean the oil tank. All that being said, if the piston looks good, is $200 a good price for the saw?

In good condition those are nice saws. Who replaced the pump? Stihl dealer with OEM pump?

The pump drives off the clutch drum. Could be the spring popped out of the notch in the drum.

$200 in nice shape is not out of line

In good condition those are nice saws. Who replaced the pump? Stihl dealer with OEM pump?

The pump drives off the clutch drum. Could be the spring popped out of the notch in the drum.

$200 in nice shape is not out of line

A dealer did the work with stihl parts. It’s dirty but it started easy and pulled the 20” chain through dry walnut with ease. I’m thinking of replacing my 310 with it

411cdd9cd798ab77e37572dc69f6ed65.jpg

Other than being filthy I think it’s good to go.

The main concerns for a saw this old are the deteriorated condition of all of the seals, hoses, and other rubber parts. If you can't find any obvious oiler issues the pump mat be full of sawdust debris which will limmit the stroke and hence the output. I am pretty sure that this one can be disassembled and cleaned.

Latest posts

Back