Stihl 036 ignition module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, my original post was about a bad aftermarket ignition module on this Stihl 036.

Turns out not to be the case. Sparks just fine. Started on the 2nd pull.

I think I'm going to get Dad a battery powered chainsaw for Christmas.

If there is any question to be asked, why is it that out at the farm, Dad's saws won't start for love or money, but when I get them home they start on the 2nd pull?

I bet I pulled on this 036 25 times yesterday and nothing. Dad said it didn't have spark.
I pulled his 026 50 times before it burped. That thing has always been hard to start. It's on its 3rd carburetor rebuild. Can't find an aftermarket one that fits right.

Dads 311 had an intermittent coil , from factory, took it back 3 times and never fixed it , Sthil wanted like 130 for coil , I ordered it from chicoms 25 bucks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have had issues with the choke flaps not closing enough to choke them well when their cold. If the saws are stored inside and you start them at home they are probably colder after a ride in back of the truck and the choke is more critical then.
Choke linkages on that era of stihls are not as direct as the older models and especially with age seem to gain a little play here and there or hang up from slight distortions and the results are often the choke flap isn't closing its maximum.
I have an 026 that doesn't close well enough for initial cold starts unless i can keep my thumb on the switch holding it all the way down while drop starting it. A bit awkward, not safe, or recommended , but its what i do to get it choked well enough it usually fires 4 to 8 pulls cold. Between fuelings it usually chokes well enough on the choke setting. In this case another option aside taking a chance spending excess time and money attempting to correct it with new parts to make it work perfect, one could carry a squirt bottle with some fuel mix to prime it through the carb on cold starts. Or i have used my thumb to close off the carb on occasion for a good full choke but again, awkward and not safe.
If you take off the filter cover, and gently work the choke, you should be able to see if the choke flap is pushed shut all the way. On my 026 when the filter is off and i close the (plastic inside the filter )choke it looks a little distorted, thus not sealing the best but i can live with it knowing what to do.
The 036 has a similar mechanism but the choke flap is metal inside the carb not in the filter as the 026. I have had 034's (similar to 36) after years of aging some air filter covers seem to distort to effect the choke from closing properly . Removing the cover was all that was needed to get the choke to work, start saw and put the cover back on and go to work.
Hope i helped you out.

The 036 has always been a much easier starting saw. Like I said yesterday, 2 pulls. That's from right out of the back of my pickup truck sitting in the sub freezing cold for days. It was in the upper 30's yesterday but the saw wouldn't start for Dad when it was 50 so I don't think temperature is the issue.

One big issue I have been seeing lately is the operators are not pulling the engine over quickly /rapidly enough. Most of the older gents I repair saws for are getting up in years, they just cannot pull the cord with authority. They bring in their saws and tel me they won`t start or are very hard to start but when I get to work on them they will start with a few fast pulls over.

Yeah, the newer models are often misdiagnosed. I have had a lot of problems selling them online, but I think many are just part swapping, and sending them back. Making a claim of "defective"...

Bastards.....

Online selling has to be a tough chore with the mentality of society today of use and return by the big box stores.

While Dad's getting up there and doesn't have the oomph he once had, I'm 45 and would arm wrestle any one of you, LOL. Not saying I'd win, but I'd certainly put up a fight worthy of being able to drop start a 50cc chainsaw.

I have just as much trouble with the 026 as he does. It could very well be a choke issue. That little "flapper switch" is well worn and you have to fiddle with it to kill the engine.

One of the worst designed choke systems Stihl ever devised, they work fine if maintained to the hilt but once some wear n tear occurs the choke flap closes less and less tight to the frame.

Back