• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 036 Original Version

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbird1983

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm a selling an original version of the Stihl 036 that I have redone...when I say original, I am referring to the model that was made between 91-93 that came with the carb without a compensator, and different air filter cover...I've gone through the mechanics and cosmetics of the saw to make sure it's in tip top running condition...Along with cleaning out all the gunk I could get to, the compression measured 150 psi...it has New fuel lines, fuel filter, plug, & coil. The original Tillotson HK43A carb has been cleaned, with new seal, and new plastic metering plate. This saw was giving me some crazy issues I could not figure out for a little while. The saw would start up and run perfect part of the time, then it would start acting like it was flooded and usually backfire...2 different Stihl techs looked at it and insisted it needed a new carb, but what they didn't know was that I had already tried to running the saw with another carb and got the same issues...I let me uncle listen to it run for 10 seconds and he knew what was wrong...His exact word were, "Timing's off, Woody key", and that was it...I got a new "Woodruff Key" at the Stihl dealer for a $1.36, and that was the magic part...This saw pulls, starts, fires, throttles up, and idles all day long now. It has all Stihl brand shrouds and's plastics. I tried to use a "made it china" starter from Amazon, and the thing just broke to pieces around the 3rd pull, so I ordered used original Stihl pull start and original model air filter cover. It comes with a Stihl 16" Rollmatic ES bar, Stihl #3003-001-9413 and brand spanking new chain (Archer Australia #FC-A-063-60DL) that has never tasted bark. I would prefer to sell the saw or possibly trade for a broken down MS200T or MS201T...Considering the time and parts purchased, I'm asking $300 firm, plus the ride. See Pics (Chain is no longer on backwards)
Post Script: Top Shroud is missing the product plate

Attachments

• IMG_3978 (1).jpg
    IMG_3978 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3977 (1).jpg
    IMG_3977 (1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3976 (1).jpg
    IMG_3976 (1).jpg
    3 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3979 (1).jpg
    IMG_3979 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 129
Why do you care? Snatch it up and sell it for a premium... that is what you have mentioned more than once about building saws with Chinese junk.
All parts are used OEM parts, I had a cheap starter rope on it, but it broke on the 3rd pull, so I ordered a used OEM part off ebay.

You could'a painted it and sold it as a shelf queen for ONE BILLION DOLLARS! ;)

"I tried to use a "made it china" starter from Amazon, and the thing just broke to pieces around the 3rd pull ..." Gott'a love that. Chicom quality for you.

For all OEM this is a fair price IMO. So many of these have aftermarket crap parts on them now. I would recommend a 360 clutch bearing and drum upgrade for it though. Otherwise they tend to grenade. There is a service note on it from Stihl. Easy upgrade, and you can use the old one to upgrade any 290/310/390 saws to a rim drive from a spur.

Back