Stihl 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja_cain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been a lurker here for a while and I am just blown away by the amount of information on this site. I am looking for a saw to purchase that will replace an old worn out 039. Thinking about picking up one of the Makita 6421 saws from home depot but need to wait a few weeks before one becomes available. In the mean time I found an old Stihl 036 w/ 16" bar for $325 at a local pawn shop listed on craigslist. Is this a good price for this saw in good running condition and also is it a good step up from the 039? I also have a 20" es bar that I could put on the saw and just put the 16" bar on the 039. Any advice you guys could give me would be awesome. Thanks!

Justin

That seems a tad high to me. I would think the $200 range is more inline.

036 is a great saw though. Is it a prop model with decompression release?

I have an 036 Pro I bought new back when and really like the saw. It's one of the best saws I've owned. That price is a bit high, though I know people who want one badly enough they'd probably pay it if the compression is good and the saw is in great shape otherwise.

Can't make that decision for you, but they are really nice saws.

Maybe fix your 039?

An 036 is a step up from an 039. $325 is nearing to the top of my range for a really nice 036 pro that runs well and has no problems. That description usually doesn't describe any pawn shop saws in my area, not even close. I'm thinking be patient, a better deal will come along.

I've seen a couple nice 036's in the classifieds recently in that range by the way.

Hello everyone,

I have been a lurker here for a while and I am just blown away by the amount of information on this site. I am looking for a saw to purchase that will replace an old worn out 039. Thinking about picking up one of the Makita 6421 saws from home depot but need to wait a few weeks before one becomes available. In the mean time I found an old Stihl 036 w/ 16" bar for $325 at a local pawn shop listed on craigslist. Is this a good price for this saw in good running condition and also is it a good step up from the 039? I also have a 20" es bar that I could put on the saw and just put the 16" bar on the 039. Any advice you guys could give me would be awesome. Thanks!

Justin
I don't think $325.00 is to high.It is an excellent pro saw with no EPA crap on it.You can pay less but you never know what you are getting in any price range.I would get the 036.Look on ebay,for $300.00 you get a nice 026 plus shipping.The 036 should cut with an 6421.

Great saw but high end of price range.

The 20" ES bar is a match for that saw

How is current B/C?

Pull the muffler and look at piston and cylinder (bring t27 torx and flashlight).

Look at condition and cleanliness of air filter.

How does it start/run, oiler work O.K. (bring some oil and mix)?

If everything checks out I'd offer $250 and haggle from there.

$325 is a bit high for a normal 036. I paid $300 for mine with 18" bar-chain and hardly used.

Very lightweight for a 60cc saw at 12.5 lbs. and 4.5 h.p. - If it's REAL nice..I'd buy it.

Pawn shops usually come down..so $275 - $300 and again..IF it's in REAL NICE shape.
:cheers:
J2F

Thanks for the reply's. I think it is the pro as it looks like it has the compression release on the top. The plan for the 6421 (if I get it) is to put the 7900 P/C on it so I have a nice 60cc saw and a larger 70 cc saw. The ES bar is in OK condition and have RS chain to go with it. Here are some pics of the saw. I figure I will bring $275 with me and offer $200 first if it looks like it is good to go. Will bring gas and oil plus torx driver to check it out. Thanks!

Justin

View attachment 278538View attachment 278539View attachment 278540

That's not a de-comp button, it's the screw that holds the top on. It's an early model plain-jane 036 with a new looking recoil.

Your right! After I zoomed in on the photos I could see that. Current saw does not have the decomp so not real good at picking up on it in the photos. That's why I posted the pictures :) I think I will hold out for something a little bit better unless you guys still think it is a good saw if I was to get it at the right price. They may have other saws there too. Will call them tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Justin

That's a pretty nice looking 036. Like mentioned earlier, it has a newer starter cover. If you can get it for $275ish, you'd be doing good. You don't really need a decomp like the 036 Pro has.

Great saw but high end of price range.

The 20" ES bar is a match for that saw

How is current B/C?

Pull the muffler and look at piston and cylinder (bring t27 torx and flashlight).

Look at condition and cleanliness of air filter.

How does it start/run, oiler work O.K. (bring some oil and mix)?

If everything checks out I'd offer $250 and haggle from there.

Real good advice.

Got the saw

Guys,

I got that saw for $250. Forgot to bring T27 driver so couldn't check exhaust side piston but it did start up on the 3rd pull. It seemed to oil ok while I was there but once I got it home and cleaned it up the saw oiled much better. Pulled muffler and piston looked pretty good and intake side of cylinder was OK. Will post some picks this weekend. Went ahead and go new plug (old one pretty eroded), filter (toasted) and updated drum and rim sprocket with larger needle bearing. Once I get my homemade compression tester working I will post the number. Can't wait to mount my 20" and RSC chain on this sucker. It should be interesting to see how it does compared to the 039 I have especially since I just MM'd the 039. Thanks again for the help.

Justin

P.S. Now I just hope I get that Makita 6421 and I will be set. :msp_smile:

You look like you have scored the 036...great ! I am a little late adding the fact that one of the best "sleeper deals" out there is a 034 Super which is essentially the same saw as an 036 but seems to be less known and there are some deals to be had. I bought one 2 weeks ago(parts/not running) for $138 and all I needed to do was replace the head gasket, clean up a little scoring and replace the rings. It's a very handy mid-size saw when I don't want to pull on the 044.

Latest posts

Back