Stihl 038 Magnum 2 chain spins at idle. Ordered new tension springs but ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomas Caballero

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
First time post for long time lurker. I've learned a lot from the site. I have a craigslist find Stihl 038 AV Magnum 2 that chain spins at idle. Although the clutch springs look fine, I'm going to replace them as based on other threads I'm convinced that's the problem. Clutch shoes are in good condition. But, I discovered that instead of having the correct rim sprocket cover washer it has a plain old flat washer. 0000 958 1231 is the part number on the IPL. C
Could this be what causes the chain to spin at idle?

I've ruled out most causes of a lean condition that i could think of and i can get it to idle fine at 2600-2800 rpm but chain still spins. so far I have:
  • Rebuilt Bing carburetor and pressure tested it. no bubbles when dunked in water and held 5 psi and 7 psi.
  • Crankcase pressure and vacuum tested it. held 7 psi pressure and 10 psi vacuum.
  • Tested impulse line, crankcase breather, and tank vent with no leaks.
Thanks for any help or ideas. Tom

Rocketnorton, the double row bearing is new and lubed with lithium based grease. The chain is difficult to manually roll around the bar even when slightly loose. Is it the washer then? What's the function of the rim sprocket cover washer other than to hold the rim sprocket in place? Thanks for the response. Tom

I think that you have narrowed down your problem. Take off your clip and explore the problem. If it is tight, then the sprocket wants to turn with the crankshaft, using aftermarket stuff may be the problem.

I went through that with my 038. The chain can't be too loose on the bar or it might spin at idle, but I'm betting that your main problem is with the springs which I had to replace. Actually, I had to replace most parts on mine since I bought it as a parts saw..

Thank you kindly for the responses. I replaced the washer with OEM. chain spin at idle decreased considerably. I then replaced the clutch springs and the 038 Mag 2 is working beautifully. Purrs like a kitten (angry kitten) at idle of 2600. Adjusted the high so i get a slight 4 stroke at wot. Now I need to fix my sprained knee so I can take it into the woods for some fun. :) Regards, Tom

Just tore my 038super down, chain was spinning at idle.... Broke spring, I had 3 extras just replaced the broken one, chain don't spin at idle anymore.. I also need the little metal piece on the brake handle that engages the brake if anyone has one.IMG_20170705_193450.jpg

I'll see if I can find a pic online I done got her back together and working with it today. It's the little metal piece on the brake handle that actually pushes the spring mechanism down.

Is it one of these levers?

The first one is part 1118 160 5002
The second one is part 1117 162 5020

Good luck.

Attachments

• Unknown-6.jpg
    Unknown-6.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Unknown-7.jpg
    Unknown-7.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 3
It's what pushes the black lever in half to fold it and spring the break on....I think it may be the silver piece

Latest posts

Back