• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 038 magnum $325 shipped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
Reaction score
Up for sale is a Stihl 038 magnum completely gone through. Exhaust port cleaned, replaced tank handle, and replaced a few soft AV mounts. Saw has a full wrap handle and factory dual port muffler. In good shape. Runs and oils as it should. Would like to clear $350 PHO on the saw so figure $410 shipped should cover it. I can do a compression test later on if a guy wants to see what it's got.

a51bcad8ad4dd0ef7603f3542a5d41b9.jpg

0b04cda587a1cca354fa0b91209853f5.jpg

a97ac36af4a587db207085221dc50471.jpg

354d50536d966c5a7f5b29992969dc91.jpg

8d3976ff8017c4dfb04c90ee3df71b2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just shipped a 15lb saw from NY to MS via UPS ground and it cost me $25 and change. Why do you think it will cost $60 for shipping?

Nice saw, GLWS.

Beautiful saw.

Couple of questions:
  1. Where was this saw made?
  2. Compression reading?
  3. Someone scraped the carbon out of the exhaust port with a flat screwdriver (by the look of the pictures, anyway.) Was the jug off the saw at the time? Or perhaps the better question is, what precautions were taken not to introduce any of that carbon into the cylinder or crankcase?
  4. Pictures of the rings?
  5. Pictures of the intake side of the piston?

I just shipped a 15lb saw from NY to MS via UPS ground and it cost me $25 and change. Why do you think it will cost $60 for shipping?

Nice saw, GLWS.

He's in a place called "Canada". Allegedly, that's a country and people actually live there.

Just kidding Shane, nice looking saw.

Oh, my bad, I guess I forgot that not everyone is American with nicknames like "west coast".

Beautiful saw.

Couple of questions:
  1. Where was this saw made?
  2. Compression reading?
  3. Someone scraped the carbon out of the exhaust port with a flat screwdriver (by the look of the pictures, anyway.) Was the jug off the saw at the time? Or perhaps the better question is, what precautions were taken not to introduce any of that carbon into the cylinder or crankcase?
  4. Pictures of the rings?
  5. Pictures of the intake side of the piston?

i can get pictures on thursday. gonna be in the city all day tomorrow. the flat screw driver is what i use to get the chunkies out. i use mercury powertune after. it's fine but i will get pics to prove it. i suck the carbon out with a vacuum as i scrape it off. and then the powertune rinses what's in the corners away. been doing it that way forever. it's just the best way to do it other then removing the jug completely.

. the flat screw driver is what i use to get the chunkies out. i use mercury powertune after. it's fine but i will get pics to prove it. i suck the carbon out with a vacuum as i scrape it off. and then the powertune rinses what's in the corners away. been doing it that way forever. it's just the best way to do it other then removing the jug completely.

Wouldnt a better way be having no carbon to scrape ??

You darn right. Unfortunately this one was carboned up by the previous owner. It was either scrape it or leave it.. No carbon is also not realistic.

Having to scrape carbon chunkies is easily avoided but good to know that it didnt get there from you running it.

Having to scrape carbon chunkies is easily avoided but good to know that it didnt get there from you running it.

LOL what are you saying man? So how is it easily avoided? Tune the saw fat and let'er smoke and wash it all out? That's not how I roll. An improperly tuned saw is an unusable saw. I'm interested to know your secret to preventing carbon though.

Just a little history on the saw too. I've had it for a long time. What happened was back before I joined AS the rear handle got smashed off. I had no idea where I was gonna get parts for it so stashed it in our storage and forgot about it. The wife and I were up there a month ago and the 038 surfaced. Only reason it ended up in storage was cause I was not a member of AS yet and couldn't find a good 038 tank locally. I ran it a bit in the past on Stihl ultra.

LOL what are you saying man? So how is it easily avoided? Tune the saw fat and let'er smoke and wash it all out? That's not how I roll. An improperly tuned saw is an unusable saw. I'm interested to know your secret to preventing carbon though.

I dont have excess smoke, most of my stuff has a light layer of carbon on the piston top, with wash marks by the transferrs, and no carbon snackies in the exhaust. I also run good fuel and good oil ..................... easy peasy !!

The few saws I have that run on the rich side are work saws, and they dont have hardly any carbon on the piston tops, and super clear exhaust ports. They aint smokers eithor ............... here is one with a nice work tune. (Which is by some peoples standards (not mine) excessively rich

I dont have excess smoke, most of my stuff has a light layer of carbon on the piston top, with wash marks by the transferrs, and no carbon snackies in the exhaust. I also run good fuel and good oil ..................... easy peasy !!

The few saws I have that run on the rich side are work saws, and they dont have hardly any carbon on the piston tops, and super clear exhaust ports. They aint smokers eithor ............... here is one with a nice work tune. (Which is by some peoples standards (not mine) excessively rich

Judging by the saws you run and your username we ain't never gonna agree on anything anyways LOL

Back