Stihl 038 not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perko888

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, Have a 038 Stihl that was serviced and tuned ,put one tank through it ran like a dream ,refilled for second tank would not refire ,taken back to shop don't waste your money on an old saw ,has spark, I've tried fuel down carby but still won't fire
Just after a idea if it's a simple fix as it was my late father's saw and would like it running like he used to have any help would be appreciated ,thanks

Does it have a nice fat blue spark? If not, change the plug. I had a problem with Bosch plugs in my 038. Would just keep fouling them. Would show spark, but not enough to run. Put NGK BPMR7A in and never looked back.

Does it have a nice fat blue spark? If not, change the plug. I had a problem with Bosch plugs in my 038. Would just keep fouling them. Would show spark, but not enough to run. Put NGK BPMR7A in and never looked back.
Yeh mate put a new plug in but still won't start ,i wouldn't say it has a big blue spark though

Any idea on the age of the saw? If it is a very early production model, it will have points and condenser ignition. If that is the case, you may need to clean and reset the point gap. Best way to tell is to remove starter cover and look for wiring that goes in behind flywheel. Points and condenser live in behind flywheel.

Attachments

• 20200510_081948.jpg
    20200510_081948.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 4
Any idea on the age of the saw? If it is a very early production model, it will have points and condenser ignition. If that is the case, you may need to clean and reset the point gap. Best way to tell is to remove starter cover and look for wiring that goes in behind flywheel. Points and condenser live in behind flywheel.
Pretty sure it was bought in the mid 80s ,

If it is not firing after putting fuel down the carb, it would sound like an ignition issue to me. Does the compression feel normal? When you re-fueled it, did it actually run out of fuel, or was there some left in the tank. Might be a good idea to pop the muffler cover off and have a peek at the piston and cylinder, just to be sure. What ratio mix are you running? Have you used same fuel in other sass with no issue?

If it is not firing after putting fuel down the carb, it would sound like an ignition issue to me. Does the compression feel normal? When you re-fueled it, did it actually run out of fuel, or was there some left in the tank. Might be a good idea to pop the muffler cover off and have a peek at the piston and cylinder, just to be sure. What ratio mix are you running? Have you used same fuel in other sass with no issue?
Yeh mate ran out of fuel ,ratio 50.1 ,no issues with fuel used for other gear

Latest posts

Back