Stihl 038 not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perko888

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi ,have a stihl 038 that serviced and tuned I out 1 tank through it and it ran like dream ,2nd tank it wouldn't start easy and run smoothly ,taken back to shop there answer was don't waste your money on an old saw ,it has spark I've tried putting fuel down the carby with no luck either ,just after an idea as where to start as it was my late father's saw and would like it going the best it can for a old saw ,any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks

Hi ,have a stihl 038 that serviced and tuned I out 1 tank through it and it ran like dream ,2nd tank it wouldn't start easy and run smoothly ,taken back to shop there answer was don't waste your money on an old saw ,it has spark I've tried putting fuel down the carby with no luck either ,just after an idea as where to start as it was my late father's saw and would like it going the best it can for a old saw ,any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks
After market parts are cheap and easily available for the 038 , I'd try a new impluse ,line fuel line ,and intake boot. Oh and always replace the plug.

So they can sell you a new saw that they will have to maintain. Fix it.

Start with @lone wolf s suggestion and pull the muffler

Pull and check the plug after you tried to start it, is it no gas in there or is flooded.
If it's not flooded, have a small amount of gas directly in to the cylinder, does it start and run for 1/2 a second?
Was this helpful, probably not...

Have pulled the muffler and there is no scoring ,cleaned up the coil and reset gap ,now have nice blue spark,ordering new impulse line, fuel line as definitely seems a fuel issue ,carby has made in usa stamped on it is there any other numbers as may get a new carby aswell ,just wondering whst carby it would be as haven t removed it as yet ,thanks for the help guys

Have pulled the muffler and there is no scoring ,cleaned up the coil and reset gap ,now have nice blue spark,ordering new impulse line, fuel line as definitely seems a fuel issue ,carby has made in usa stamped on it is there any other numbers as may get a new carby aswell ,just wondering whst carby it would be as haven t removed it as yet ,thanks for the help guys
I believe that there might be a couple of different carbs on that model ? Can you post some pictures?

Good to hear you have spark now and P/C looks OK, put a little mix in carb and see if it fires.

Which model 038 do you have? 038 038S or 038M?

If the OEM carb is not shot, you can just put a kit in it. Unless it is a 038M the carb will be a Tillitson, the 038M came with Bings. The 038S Tillotson is HK-42A, 038M is Bing 48A, they will interchange.

Bing carbs and parts are more expensive.

Tillotson sells a replacement carb for 038 saws, HE-19A ~$50

Tillotson HE-19A

Get a new filter when you do fuel line.

Good to hear you have spark now and P/C looks OK, put a little mix in carb and see if it fires.

Which model 038 do you have? 038 038S or 038M?

If the OEM carb is not shot, you can just put a kit in it. Unless it is a 038M the carb will be a Tillitson, the 038M came with Bings. The 038S Tillotson is HK-42A, 038M is Bing 48A, they will interchange.

Bing carbs and parts are more expensive.

Tillotson sells a replacement carb for 038 saws, HE-19A ~$50

Tillotson HE-19A

Get a new filter when you do fuel line.
Think I may of found one problem the impulse line has totally perished and has totally split in 2 ,have ordered a new one hoping this will help getting it fired up again,carby is a tillotson

Ok have put new impulse line, fuel line and filter on
Saw fired and then cuts out ,plus sounds like a backfire sometimes
Low needle 11/4 out
High needle 11/4 out
Idle 1 turn
It's like it can't hold spark
Any ideas fellas I'm thinking maybe the ignition coil ?

Low needle 11/4 out
High needle 11/4 out
Idle 1 turn
Take the starter off and check your fly wheel.

Low needle 11/4 out
High needle 11/4 out
Idle 1 turn

If it fires consistenly, with a splash of mix, it's not the coil/wires.

Is intake boot secure and sound? Sealing metal rings where carb mounts there? Need to pull carb to check. One fits inside boot the other around it

Take out the carb and look under the covers. I've seen those filled with sawdust fines and the carb stops pumping.

If that's O.K. carefully take off the diaphragms/gaskets, note order they came off. Sometimes you can reuse those if in good shape, but are they wrinkled/worm out? If so take rest of carb apart and clean w/new carb kit. Then have a look at the inlet screen, if that is plugged up it won't get fuel even if rest of carb is O.K. Also check that needle is free.

Well have got the 038 started and is running sweet ,new fuel lines, filter ,plug,impulse line ,ignition coiland clean the carby
Total cost $70 aus
Absolutely rapt as it's my fathers who oonlypassed a few years ago
Thanks for your help fellas now let's go cutting

Back