Stihl 038AV... Anygood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the 52mm would bolt on ok but give me a few more cc's?

I am under the impression that the 52mm was for the magnum version and it had a different cylinder bolt pattern, but I do not have any experience with the 038 to base the info off of. The 52mm kits at Baileys actually notes it will not work on a 038AV or a 038 Super because of this reason.

Yes you can bolt an 038 super (50mm) directly on to your 038 AV (48mm) without any modifications. You can slightly elongate the cylinder holes to get an 038 magnum (52mm) to bolt on. Mad Professor on AS has done this conversion and could tell you more specific details involved.

Another small word of advice...DON'T use starting fluid...drop alittle mixed gas in the carb
There's nothing at all wrong with using starting fluid. Modern starting fluids have lubricants in the mixture, and do not harm 2 cycle engines.

I wouldn't use starting fluid in place of gas (wouldn't run a tank of starting fluid through it), but using starting fluid to get an engine to fire doesn't hurt a damn thing.

If there is no fuel filter, you definitely have a carb problem.... Don't use starting fluid - you'll cook the piston/cylinder/ whatever.. Use mix.

It could also be impulse line, crank case seals, boot, etc.. but I'd bet on the carb... put a stihl fuel filter back on the hose after you clean out the carb and rebuild it.

It likely has a Bing carb. GREAT carb but incredibly expensive full kit from Stihl (nearly $50). Get an aftermarket kit ($6-12). It won't come with a needle (just use a big Walbro needle), and no metering arm, so don't mess up the one in the carb.
There's nothing at all wrong with using starting fluid. Modern starting fluids have lubricants in the mixture, and do not harm 2 cycle engines.

I wouldn't use starting fluid in place of gas (wouldn't run a tank of starting fluid through it), but using starting fluid to get an engine to fire doesn't hurt a damn thing.

Not nearly enough lubricants in starting fluid to keep up with high reving two strokes.:mad:

How about some new guy, new/old saw rep for the op.

Not nearly enough lubricants in starting fluid to keep up with high reving two strokes.:mad:

How about some new guy, new/old saw rep for the op.
I'd agree with you if this discussion was regarding the use of starting fluid as a fuel for "operating" a saw, but we're not talking about operating a saw, we're simply talking about getting one to fire, which again... Doesn't hurt a damn thing.

It's funny how some people's minds think so generically/simplistically, and apply certain principles so broadly, without really considering how one circumstance may be uniquely different from another. Just in case you either didn't read what the op typed, or else perhaps didn't understand the nature of his remarks, he wasn't using starting fluid in place of a gas/oil mix. He wasn't cutting firewood, supplying fuel to the saw via spraying starting fluid through the throat of the carb, he was simply trying to get the say to fire.

It's "Starting" fluid, not "Running/Operating" fluid. And yes... It does have a sufficient amount of lubricant in it for a high reving 2 stroke as long as it's being used in the manner that it was intended to be used.

When participating in a discussion with someone it's important to keep things in their proper context.

Last edited:
I have seen way too many saws with toasted pistons from trying to start them with starting fluid. You really should keep your fantasies to yourself before you cost someone money.

Oh, I'm a self employed small engine mechanic, what do you do?

So this guy knows more about saws than Lakeside. Where's he been all these years when we needed a genius??:msp_ohmy:

I have seen way too many saws with toasted pistons from trying to start them with starting fluid. You really should keep your fantasies to yourself before you cost someone money.

Oh, I'm a self employed small engine mechanic, what do you do?
By what methodology did you determine that these pistons were toasted specifically resulting from the use of starting fluid? I suppose you know what their precise condition was prior to the use of starting fluid huh? (I'm sure you'll come up with some obviously foolish reply). The likely answer to this is that you have absolutely no idea as to the condition of the pistion prior to the use of starting fluid, and are just assuming that starting fluid was the culprit. If starting fluid was the cause of any damage to the pistons in question here it was certainly due to someone using it in extreeeeeemely excessive amounts, and for prolonged periods of time, far beyond it's intended use.

Judging by your response you're obviously one of those people who are not perceptive at all, and who has an extremely limited ability to evaluate and comprehend sutuations and circumstances. You seem to be (I suppose it's possible that I could be wrong) the type of person who lacks the ability to discover things on their own, who takes an extremely simplistic approach to everything, and who is almost entirely dependent on the instruction of others.

You say you're a self employed small engines mechanic (which blows me away based on your naivety regarding this particular subject)... I myself do not work on small engines for a living, however, I have been an automotive mechanic for nearly 20 years, and have been building high performance, high dollar racecar engines, chassis', rearends, transmissions etc. etc. for over 10. And again, although I am not self employed, and do not work on small engines for a living, I am in fact a long time certified small engines mechanic (as I intended to go that route before I got into the automotive industry), and for the past 20 years, for hobby purposes and for friends and family, have built several 2 stroke powered hydroplanes, dirt bikes (as I am a rider), and hot saws for a cousin of mine who competes in timber carnivals, and have used starting fluid on all these types of engines countless times, and there has never been any signs of piston damage to any of them after tearing them down (with the exception of one of my buddy's boat engines that got some sand put in it by one of his neighbor's kids). I also know and have met countless others over the years who use starting fluid regularly on their 2 stroke engines, and none of them have any more problems with their equipment than anyone else.

Also, none of the sources cited in that wiki article make any mention whatsoever about the absence of lubricant in starting fluids. That was obviously just the false personal opinion of the author of that wiki. In fact, if you go now and directly check the sited sources and external links for that article the information you will find will be exactly contrary to the claim you made. Modern starting fluids DO have lubricants in the mixture (maybe starting fluids from 30 or 40 years ago did not). Just read the containers... Most of them state that they contain lubricants right on the label, and even the ones that don't display it on the label still contain lubricants (and you can go right to the manufacturers websites to find this out).

If some dumb ass uses excessive amounts of starting fluid for prolonged periods of time, of course that could lead to undesired results, but starting fluid ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT! damage a 2 cycle engine if used properly. The fact that you aren't aware of that should seriously give people second thoughts about using you as a mechanic. As I alluded to previously, it's obvious that you're very limited in your ability to process information, and that your incapable of differentiating between extreme and moderate circumstances.

I suppose it's possible that you're just arguing for the sake of arguing, without giving any real consideration to what you're actually saying, but if you truly believe that starting fluid, used properly, will damage a 2 cycle engine you've got some serious issues, even as an average enthusiast, and especially as a supposed small engines mechanic.

Last edited:
By what methodology did you determine that these pistons were toasted specifically resulting from the use of starting fluid? I suppose you know what their precise condition was prior to the use of starting fluid huh? (I'm sure you'll come up with some obviously foolish reply). The likely answer to this is that you have absolutely no idea as to the condition of the pistion prior to the use of starting fluid, and are just assuming that starting fluid was the culprit. If starting fluid was the cause of any damage to the pistons in question here it was certainly due to someone using it in extreeeeeemely excessive amounts, and for prolonged periods of time, far beyond it's intended use.

Judging by your response you're obviously one of those people who are not perceptive at all, and who has an extremely limited ability to evaluate and comprehend sutuations and circumstances. You seem to be (I suppose it's possible that I could be wrong) the type of person who lacks the ability to discover things on their own, who takes an extremely simplistic approach to everything, and who is almost entirely dependent on the instruction of others.

You say you're a self employed small engines mechanic (which blows me away based on your naivety regarding this particular subject)... I myself do not work on small engines for a living, however, I have been an automotive mechanic for nearly 20 years, and have been building high performance, high dollar racecar engines, chassis', rearends, transmissions etc. etc. for over 10. And again, although I am not self employed, and do not work on small engines for a living, I am in fact a long time certified small engines mechanic (as I intended to go that route before I got into the automotive industry), and for the past 20 years, for hobby purposes and for friends and family, have built several 2 stroke powered hydroplanes, dirt bikes (as I am a rider), and hot saws for a cousin of mine who competes in timber carnivals, and have used starting fluid on all these types of engines countless times, and there has never been any signs of piston damage to any of them after tearing them down (with the exception of one of my buddy's boat engines that got some sand put in it by one of his neighbor's kids). I also know and have met countless others over the years who use starting fluid regularly on their 2 stroke engines, and none of them have any more problems with their equipment than anyone else.

Also, none of the sources cited in that wiki article make any mention whatsoever about the absence of lubricant in starting fluids. That was obviously just the false personal opinion of the author of that wiki. In fact, if you go now and directly check the sited sources and external links for that article the information you will find will be exactly contrary to the claim you made. Modern starting fluids DO have lubricants in the mixture (maybe starting fluids from 30 or 40 years ago did not). Just read the containers... Most of them state that they contain lubricants right on the label, and even the ones that don't display it on the label still contain lubricants (and you can go right to the manufacturers websites to find this out).

If some dumb ass uses excessive amounts of starting fluid for prolonged periods of time, of course that could lead to undesired results, but starting fluid ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT! damage a 2 cycle engine if used properly. The fact that you aren't aware of that should seriously give people second thoughts about using you as a mechanic. As I alluded to previously, it's obvious that you're very limited in your ability to process information, and that your incapable of differentiating between extreme and moderate circumstances.

I suppose it's possible that you're just arguing for the sake of arguing, without giving any real consideration to what you're actually saying, but if you truly believe that starting fluid, used properly, will damage a 2 cycle engine you've got some serious issues, even as an average enthusiast, and especially as a supposed small engines mechanic.

Perhaps someone like yourself who is obviously much more intelligent than the rest of us would care to explain why you would use starting fluid on a two stroke engine, instead of the proper
mixture?

And use it 'countless times'? Please elighten us with your superior intellect and sparkling personality.

To make it simple enough for you to understand. Yes, I have seen people take an almost new saw, run it out of gas, refill it, then give it a large shot of ether to make it start faster. Most chainsaws these days rev between 10-13.5 thousand rpms, it takes very little time at that speed to do damage.

It seems to me that any engine "builder" who has to rely on starting fluid, is doing something wrong, or isn't very good at what he does. Just because you need it to get your stuff running doesn't mean it is correct. If you have to use starting fluid on an engine, it means something isn't right with that engine. A true mechanic fixes that problem instead of choosing the lazy way.

Why don't you spray a shot of starting fluid on a metal surface and tell us how long it stays liquid.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back