Stihl 038AV Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyBoltz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a 038 Magnum that we bought new in '92 but that's been sitting for probably the last 4 or so years. [strike] I went to go start last night and couldn't get it to turn over so I think the carb is probably gummed up. But the compression is real good.
I have the IPL and assume 038M stands for Magnum but what does 038 MW, 038 MRII and 038 MR reference just so I can be clear on which portions of the IPL i should be looking at.
I also wanted to know what, while the saw is apart, could be replaced or installed to make it a better saw or if it's possible to build a Magnum into a Magnum 2. I know I can get it started real soon, I just need another project now that I got the log splitter back in perfect working order. [/strike]

Edit: I'm an idiot. I'll admit it. Went out to tear into the saw and wouldn't you know it, it's a Magnum 2 so woops. Then I checked the fuel lines and they're solid, the spark plug looked fine, it has great compression, and the carb looked aesthetically fine. I then checked the "master switch" because it didn't seem like it was working quite right last night. A quick read through in the manual and I found that we (pushing partial blame onto my father) weren't flipping the switch all the way down into choke. Well sheet, took it outside, filled it with gas, choked it and pumped it a couple time and then put in the plug and it fired first pull. Once again, I'm an idiot. Now onto the next project.

Last edited:
Mag and mag II were just designations on the 38. 72.2cc for all the magnum series, 66cc for the super, and 62cc for the AV.

Latest posts

Back