• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Stihl 038av VS 036 Pro or new??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tswarner67

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright guys I’m new here but already tell a lot of you have a saw addiction and I am quickly catching that bug. I heat my house And barn with a wood burner So I split and cut a ton year round. I want to get MY first saw, I’ve been using grandpas old mcculloch for years and am ready to by my first saw. I’m torn between saving something older or getting something new. I’d like at least a 20” bar .
I went and looked ata 038 av today and it fired on first pull but had a leaking gas tank and a broken chain stop. Guy said I could have it as is for 200 (was originally asking350) I passed on it. There’s another guy selling an 036 pro for 350 who claims running. I like the build of the older saws and don’t mind fixing some things but am also considering if it’d be better to just go get a new saw for my primary with a warranty. Considering a 311 or 391... for not much more $$ . I’m a 6’4”guy so not too worried on size. Any thoughts here..?

You cut a lot of wood, a good chainsaw or 2 or more could be very beneficial to your time and back well worth a few extra dollars.
Your primary saw if you have a reasonable number of good size trees best be 24inch ish bar , 70cc to 90. Good running 60cc would work but struggle a bit in large hardwoods.
24inch bar will be a backsaver (saves bending over and having to move to otherside of log to finish cuts) and i believe work best in a variety of conditions. A smaller saw or 2 will cut down on chain maintnence and expense + be easier to use in some heavy limbing situations. I like to have along what i call a beater saw with 16inch or less bar for cutting flush with the ground where I drive and other cuts that have high risk of dulling the chain. Just about any small to medium , cheap maintained saw makes a good beater.
For a 24inch bar i like the older stihls 044 to ms660. 038's are a bit heavy for the power but they run 24inch well. 391 would be similar but newer design then the 038's. 311 would be a wimp with a 24inch bar.

If you are planing on heating with wood for a while and want saws that are built for professionals leave the 391 or the 311 for others, they are what is refereed to as "clam shell saws"
there are a lot of 038 lovers and claim it as one of Stihls best saws...it is a pro saw that has a removable cylinder,as apposed to the clam shell which the cylinder forms part of the crankcase.The advantage is a pro saw can have the piston and cylinder removed without taking the complete saw apart.
Hang around here for long and you will be talking about getting your first hundred sawso_O

Alright guys I’m new here but already tell a lot of you have a saw addiction and I am quickly catching that bug. I heat my house And barn with a wood burner So I split and cut a ton year round. I want to get MY first saw, I’ve been using grandpas old mcculloch for years and am ready to by my first saw. I’m torn between saving something older or getting something new. I’d like at least a 20” bar .
I went and looked ata 038 av today and it fired on first pull but had a leaking gas tank and a broken chain stop. Guy said I could have it as is for 200 (was originally asking350) I passed on it. There’s another guy selling an 036 pro for 350 who claims running. I like the build of the older saws and don’t mind fixing some things but am also considering if it’d be better to just go get a new saw for my primary with a warranty. Considering a 311 or 391... for not much more $$ . I’m a 6’4”guy so not too worried on size. Any thoughts here..?
If your buying 1 saw for firewood the Husqvarna 365 is a lot of saw for the money.Jonsered cs2166 is the same saw basically. A stihl ms361 is an excellent choice also.

If you cut a lot, one saw won't be enough. Not saying you need two right away, but buying saws that will fit into your eventual ideal lineup will save you money and hassle in the long run.

Do you buy loads of logs or cut in a woodlot somewhere? Personally, and I cut a lot of wood also, I cut wood of widely varying sizes. Anything from 3" limbs to 40" trunks. From my experience, in the way I get wood, I find myself using 3 combinations the most. A 50cc saw with a 16" bar and chain, a 70cc saw with a 20" b&c and a 70cc saw with a 28" b&c. 28" for felling, 16" for limbing and small firewood, 20" for larger firewood.

Now, if I was buying log loads of firewood, I might prefer having two 60cc saws instead of 50 & 70, so depending on your situation, your mileage may vary. But, were I in your shoes, I'd be looking for a stihl 044/440/046/460/461/462 or husky 365/372 (jonsered 2165/2166/2171/2172). After that I'd look for a 50cc like a 026/260/261, or my personal favorite a 346xp (or another saw in that family, 350/351/353).

Thanks for the replies . I cut mostly in a wood lot, I have a friend that owns a tree service and I pretty much have free range of his wood yard on anything he’s not turning into furniture. So aside from the ma 291 With a 20” we usually run I would like to add another saw to the mix. My pops is usually running that saw so I’d like to have at least that, a 2 saw combo makes sense as we cut anything from limbs/ small trees to pretty sizeable logs , any wood from Osage orange to oak to poplar . I’ve been considering the ms261 now with consideration of a 461 or 046 down the road. I’ve come across a few 0 series from a 034 to 038 to the 046 . Would eventually like an 026 as well, all of them around here seem to be about 300. I missed a guy selling a Good looking and running ms362 and ms250 set for 500 together.

I've a lot of time running and working on the saws you are considering.

The 036 handles hardwood fine up to 20" but will cut larger. It's the saw I grab for <20", it light and just handles nice.

For bigger stuff a 038M w/24" bar. It's heavy but built like a tank and will chug through most anything I don't need my 066 for.

I have 026s 16" B/C that are lighter than either but it don't have the power of the 036. I use that for smaller limb size stuff.

It sounds like the 038 you looked at needs some work, maybe a tank assy. If you are getting a 038 get the 038M.

The 036 for $350 must be in very nice condition for the price.

The 036 looks to be pretty nice but I felt price was a bit steep. The 038 did need a tank but also needed a chain break and I decided to skip it. Would love to find a 038m , thanks for your input

Back