Stihl 038AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Someone gave me two busted Stihl 038AV saws and I'm planning on building one good saw out of the two busted ones. I have absolutely no experience with Stihl saws and I'm wondering if anyone has any info about it. I'd like to know cc's, wether this is a homeowners or commercial saw, potential problems and performance. Like I said, I have no experience with Stihl's as I have only owned Husky's over the years. By the way, what does the AV stand for? Thanks guys.

Most stihl saws with an ending in an even number are professional. The AV stands for anti-vibe. The 044 outdated the 038 but the 038 is an excellent saw. Its 38cc. Dont know many potential problems.

The are great saws. They come from the same era as the 028 that was 50 + cc (have one 028 yet, its a '79 model and has done mucho worko). My father-in-law was given one for his retirement, and I really liked to use it. A thief liberated it last spring, along with about $10,000 worth of other stuff. Me thinks the displacement is about 62cc. I looked for my older sales propeganda, but I couldn't quickly come up with it.

1985 Intertec manual sez- 48mm bore and 34mm stroke gets you 61cc. (about the most useful info in the book-nothing like a Stihl manual)

038 is a great saw. mostly made in Germany later in Brazil.
Illegal in Calif. for last few yrs.To much polution!!!Anyways great saw.Great torque strong saw.

I had a 038Magnum for many years :). I remember it fondly, but it was run over by a chip truck. The Magnum was 44cc, same as the 044. I believe the 038AV was 38-39cc. Only trouble I ever had was keeping the air filter sealed. The 044 had a much better air filtration system, similar to the concrete saws with a 3-stage filter. You have a gem of a saw if you have good compression. Please tell us how your project comes out. I recommend a 24" or 27" bar, it will RIP!

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated. I will definitely go ahead and rebuild the saw. Out of curiosity, how do you think the 038AV would compare to the Husky 266? I know the 266 absolutely howls.

I need to correct my last post.... The 038 magnum was 4.4 cubic INCHES..... 038AV was 3.8-3.9 cubic INCHES. Stihl measures in CI, not CC.

sorry captjac we dont advertise other bullitin boards on arboristsite. Read your arboristsite user info. Looks like he has a wealth of info here. (administrator)
try this site - do a search for 038 has the info you are looking for.

[Edited by administrator on 05-05-2001 at 10:08 AM]

Correction, guys, Stihl model numbers have little correlation to cubic inch size. The 044 just happens to be close at 4.3 ci But the 066 is 5.59, the 088, 7.42.

The 038 was a great saw in its time. When the 044 came out, Stihl kept the 038 in its line and made a Magnum version, which had about the same displacement and power as the 044, but weighed a lot more, as it was built so well. They lasted forever.

But my 044's are still going strong after many years.
I don't expect to get the same longevity out of my new Husky 372 XP that I had Madsen's modify, but, man, what a saw!! Lighter than an 044, and close to the power of and 046, stock that is. Mine seems to cut almost as well as my 066's!!!

Rubicon,

Read all about it here:

http://www.madsens1.com/sawmods.htm

They say the mods only gain 5-8% more power. Maybe, but this baby screams!! It is my second power tuned saw, the other is an 044. I've bought several saws from Madsen's over the years; they are extremely knowledgeable. Built the first dynamometer for saws, for instance.

This shop: http://www.walkerssawshop.com/
charges $175 Cdn, I think, to "Walkerize" saws. I think they do quite a bit more than Madsen's. They claim that their mods make a saw run cooler, and thus last longer. That may be possible, but any modified saw is going to turn more rpm than a stock saw, and thus be more susceptible to operator misuse, ie overrevving. The new EPA saws run very lean, and must also always be run under load.

Hello everyone. Someone gave me two busted Stihl 038AV saws and I'm planning on building one good saw out of the two busted ones. I have absolutely no experience with Stihl saws and I'm wondering if anyone has any info about it. I'd like to know cc's, wether this is a homeowners or commercial saw, potential problems and performance. Like I said, I have no experience with Stihl's as I have only owned Husky's over the years. By the way, what does the AV stand for? Thanks guys.
Anti vibe, 62

Anti vibe, 62
The 038 has 62cc, the 038 super had 66cc and the 038 magnum was 72cc. The piston and cylinder on the magnum will not fit the other two models the crankcase and cylinders are exclusive to the magnum.

Latest posts

Back