Stihl 041 AV mated to a Lewis Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spokerider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a Stihl 041 AV saw, and a Lewis Winch. I want to mount the saw to the Lewis Winch.
This saw has an outboard clutch, which means an inboard sprocket. To mount this type of saw to the Lewis, it means using their "universal adapter kit", which is like a mini bar and toothless chain used to transfer power from the saw to the winch. I don't want to go this route if I don't have too. If the saw had an inboard clutch, I could use their "direct mount" system instead of the mini bar.

Can I change / modify the clutch / clutch drum in the 041 to make it an "outboard" sprocket design. Anyone done this? I bought this saw specifically to run the winch.

O spoke to the rep at Lewis Winch about this, and he said that *some* stihl saws can be modded this way, but didn't know if the 041 was one of them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I can only say that I have an older Lewis winch mounted to my 041 in the manner that you described. It's a beast, though, long and heavy.
You are so right about the weight. I like having the Lewis winch for a large load but for smaller loads If the situation fits it the 12V portable winch bought from Grizzly years ago (item since has been discontinued). At least I known the load will no longer stop me from doing a job especially with one or two snatch blocks. My ABS log cone was bought from DR Power when they carried them about 2009. My latest addition to all this stuff is a 20' 5/16" 70 Grade tow chain, much more metal to work with than a 1/4" 14' 43 Grade chain.
I suggested Lewis winch make a model with changeable cable spools. It would mean a complete redesign but think of the advantage of being able to do a quick spool change for whatever the reason to a fresh spool of cable.

Latest posts

Back