Stihl 041 AV Oiling issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris VanWagner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok please don't jump down my throat to do a search, that's actually how I found this site and its wealth of information. I've poured over every thread I could find so I was informed before I asked.

I bought an old 041AV, it runs great and it was oiling pretty decently until the last cuts I did with it. I noticed oil coming out past where the oil pump is mounted. So with help from all the posts on this site I tore in to it knowing I would for sure find the problem.

I'm stumped (pun intended).

I checked the worm gear, it appears to be in good shape.
I took out the pump and checked the gears, they look good.
I made sure there was a pin that goes from the sprocket to the worm gear and everything is connected right, and that all looks good.
I disassembled the oiler adjustment knob and shaft and cleaned that all up and inspected the seals, they look good.
I fished out the oil delivery tube and checked the filter and it looked clean.
I cleaned the oil tank out with kerosene and put in fresh oil.
I cleaned out the oil hole and all the areas around the bar mount bolts.

I cleaned and reassembled everything, even the leak at the front stopped after I cleaned and reinstalled the pump.

Fired it up and ran it at half throttle for a few minutes and I am getting no oil from the oil hole whatsoever, even with the oiler adjustment wide open.

What else could be the issue? Just a bad pump somehow?

Make sure you didn't forget to install the small pin that drives the oil gear. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Make sure you didn't forget to install the small pin that drives the oil gear. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.
I made sure it was installed and installed correctly.

I just pulled the bar studs and manually turned the sprocket and I can see down inside the oiler hole and see the shaft turning.

I'm going to pull out the oil pickup tube and see if maybe it is blocked somehow. That's the only thing left I can think of, even though the filter was clean on the end of it.

So as nasty as this was, I fished the oil pickup tube back out and wiped it off the best I could after removing the filter, then I blew in it while I hand turned the sprocket. I got the slightest of oil to come out of the oil hole, so I'm not sure what the heck is going on. Maybe it just needs to prime longer and a few minutes of running it isn't long enough?

Update - I think this is a combination of things causing the issue:

#1 I am not sure the oiler had enough time to prime and start delivering consistent oil. I ran it for 3-4 minutes last night and got a bit of oil and then bubbles. At the end I was getting a solid fast drip of oil on to the ground. (Without bar/chain installed)
#2 The front seal may have been causing an issue. Since I cleaned it, inspected and reinstalled it, the oil isn't leaking out of the front of the saw anymore.
#3 I noticed that the front bar stud is almost completely stripped out when I pulled it. Its not allowing the chain to be held tight up against the oil channel so not all of the oil is making it to the oil hole in the bar. While I am getting some decent oil at the chain now, I see a lot running down the side of the bar right in front of where it should be tight to the front bar stud. Have thread inserts on the way to repair this and then hopefully it will be good to go!

(And since the bar stud is stripped and loose, no I will not be cutting with it until I can repair it)

Just wanted to keep this updated so if anyone else is running in to oddball trouble like I am, they could find the answers instead of a dead thread!

Latest posts

Back