Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluenorthern

Reaction score
View attachment 725815 View attachment 725815 My 041 AV has served me well over the years and its been maintained it since new and is in better shape than most. I have not had to use it for five years and am getting ready to sell it. While it starts it did start, it ran rich, rough and stopped. Also found that the oil pump seals need replacing. Removing the filter cover & housing it was noticed that the fuel impulse line and ignition kill switch lead were both degraded to the point of leaks and exposed wire. The impulse and fuel lines will both be replaced and new seals for the oil pump; however I am open to suggestions on how to replace the kill switch lead. This part is not shown in my original instruction manual but if someone could provide advice or a service manual it would be greatly appreciated as the flywheel is ready to be removed. Thx.

Stihl Flywheel Pic.jpg

Just remove the flywheel. Once removed you can see where the kill switch lead is attached. Remove the nut and remove it. The lead goes through the case. Connect the new lead to the old and pull through the case. Connect new lead. Do not move anything else under the flywheel or you may mess up the timing. I have replaced a couple of these in 041 AVs. Hope this helps.

My 041 AV has served me well over the years and its been maintained it since new and is in better shape than most. I have not had to use it for five years and am getting ready to sell it. While it starts it did start, it ran rich, rough and stopped. Also found that the oil pump seals need replacing. Removing the filter cover & housing it was noticed that the fuel impulse line and ignition kill switch lead were both degraded to the point of leaks and exposed wire. The impulse and fuel lines will both be replaced and new seals for the oil pump; however I am open to suggestions on how to replace the kill switch lead. This part is not shown in my original instruction manual but if someone could provide advice or a service manual it would be greatly appreciated as the flywheel is ready to be removed. Thx.
Just remove the flywheel. Once removed you can see where the kill switch lead is attached. Remove the nut and remove it. The lead goes through the case. Connect the new lead to the old and pull through the case. Connect new lead. Do not move anything else under the flywheel or you may mess up the timing. I have replaced a couple of these in 041 AVs. Hope this helps.
Much appreciated. As a newbie this site is definitely to be recommended due to the great people helping each other out. Many helpful hints as well as contributors being very proactive. Thx.

Wire is only bare in the 1 spot?

Wouldn't shrink wrap take care of it?
Appreciate the suggestion but t
he existing wire running from switch had deteriorated and could not be used.​
Forced removal of flywheel determine condition of remaining wire. Wire beneath flywheel was found to have supple insulation/sheathing. Shrink wrapped new wire to existing good wire leading to electronic ignition. Pictures to follow.

Back