Stihl 044 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to Stihlhood. A fanboy will be along shortly to tell you that part prices don't matter because they don't break:clap:

Haha, they break, just as much as any other saw. I have plenty of kool aid in lots of different flavors. I guess you could just stick with Husky, they puke oil out regardless of what you do.

OP, are you sure it needs a kit? Have you opened the carb up and cleaned it? While I do recommend putting a kit in it, it's not always necessary. Open up the carb, pull the H and L screws out, pull the needle out, clean everything with carb cleaner and try putting it back together.

Genuine Zama RB-36 carb kit probably around 10-12 bucks, don't know where the $50 is for except maybe a used carb with a new kit in it. The oil tank vent don't bother me too much, if cleaning it didn't help, then loosen then retighten the oil tank cap to depressurize, or if you store for a long time it will stop leaking when the oil level gets down past it....keeps the saw from rusting.....if the oil is real thin it may leak a little more than thicker summer bar oil

+1 atpchas

My lil' MS260 has the same leak- asked my local Stihl dealer & he had no idea what I was talking about.:confused:
So he looked it up on his PC, we couldn't see any detail like shown above.
Guess I'll just come to AS for answers from now on! LOL

$38.50 for a MS260 air filter as well ? LMAO

I forgot I had this, what used to be another 044... a friend of mine brought down this basket case a few years ago. It has a red lever. The one I’m currently working on is a black lever.

708f0ef290587f83c06625b17e6d64c8.heic
d8081dd780e9bf198e599f8240d6fd42.heic

Are the red lever 044’s newer or older than the black ones? Are there any significant differences? I’m not sure exactly what the serial number is on the black lever because it sustained some damage pictured below. The red basket case is 130851460.

c59053ebb24664719aecce5391df2d02.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve started tearing into that basket case saw. Fortunately, it looks like most of the pieces are there. The only things I’ve noticed are missing is the brake spring, the little hose that covers it, and the dawgs.

I’m going to need a piston and cylinder, as these are definitely toast.
717880dca2c39e9333e1cdcc85a8fa19.jpg
e148b86f542430ab3277add51913ac2c.jpg
4c4bd2d51a1bb7363e081d9ae1c2f1d6.jpg

Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket products? Or should I try to find an OEM cylinder? It’s a 50mm bore with a 12mm wrist pin.

Go with OEM jug, that piston should clean up nicely tho :laugh:

Edit: HLSupply has those AM dawgs cheap, their Farmertec 660 big doggies fit another 044 I had.

Go with OEM jug, that piston should clean up nicely tho :laugh:

Edit: HLSupply has those AM dawgs cheap, their Farmertec 660 big doggies fit another 044 I had.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yeah... doesn’t that piston look nice. I figured I’d add a can of “Restore” to my fuel mix. Should run like new right?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Yeah... doesn’t that piston look nice. I figured I’d add a can of “Restore” to my fuel mix. Should run like new right?

It’s the new “Stihl ES Lite” piston. Damn thing ported itself :laugh:

Back