Stihl 044 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRL

Reaction score
I have an old (serial number 1xxxxxxx) Stihl 044c. Hasn't been run in a few years. Started it up and burned up the piston and the cylinder. Local Stihl repair shop said it was a likely cracked manifold that let in too much air and the saw overheated and scored the piston and the cylinder. Looking to rebuild it.

I've found part kits for the 044 with newer serial numbers, which has a 20mm piston pin and different cylinder. But can't find a kit for this old of an 044. I actually bought a rebuild kit before I realized there were two different cylinder setups for the 044. Photo here of the difference (old on the right, new on the left): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykw94171keld9w7/2018-06-08 19.17.21.jpg?dl=0.

Anyone have any good ideas for where to get an aftermarket cylinder and a piston kit? I inherited this saw through 3 generations and would really love to keep it running. Any help is appreciated!

I don’t think the 044 ever had a 20mm wrist pin. They were 10mm on the early ones, then moved on to 12mm if I’m not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back